1752802 Members
5552 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HD Serial Checks

David Micallef

HD Serial Checks

Hi All,

I need to perform the serial number checks on all my 36 & 72Gig Disks purchased last year, so I need to feed in the CT numbers of the hard disks to the HDSERIAL utility. Where do I get the Array Diag. Utility for Netware from as most servers are running Netware.

Thanks for your help..

9 REPLIES 9
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi David,
the tool is cross platform, it run on a window machine, but analyse number collected by HP standard tools for each platform, please have a look a the manual

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/19581.html

David Micallef

However you must feed it CT numbers, How do you get the CT number when I am running Netware?
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

form manual:

Note: The Array Diagnostic Utility is required in order to inspect servers running Linux or Novell NetWare.

=ProLiant Servers Running the Array Diagnostic Utility (ADU)

For ProLiant servers running the ADU, perform the following:

1. Open a Command Prompt and change to the directory where the HDSERIAL.EXE files were unzipped when SoftPaq SP24997 was extracted.

2. To examine the ADU report for affected hard drives, type the following command line:

HDSERIAL -report -c:\ server\adu.txt (where ├в adu.txt├в is the filename of the ADU report and the ADU report is located in the C:\server directory).

Note: For examples on using the HDSERIAL.EXE utility, type HDSERIAL at a command prompt.

---------------------------------

so run ADU and import the adu.txt that will contain the needed data

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

if you do not have, or want to install ADU, do it by hand:

---------------------------

Inspecting Standalone Hard Drives Using the CT Number Located on the Hard Drive Label

To determine if a hard drive that is not installed in a server is affected, perform the following:

1. Using an application such as Windows Notepad, create a sequential list of the CT numbers that are printed on the labels of any standalone hard drives.

IMPORTANT: The sequential list of CT numbers MUST be separated by a carriage return and a linefeed. For example:

8Q36LR81A2FFFF
8P36LR81A2FFFF
8F36LR81A2FFFF
8B36LR81A2FFFF

Note: The CT number has 14-digits and is printed on each hard drive label as follows:

CT:xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. Name the file containing the sequential list ├в CTNUMBERS.TXT├в (or another relevant name) and save it in the directory where the HDSERIAL.EXE files were unzipped.

3. To examine the CTNUMBERS.TXT file for affected hard drives, type the following command line:

HDSERIAL -ctnumber -c:\ server\ctnumber.txt (where ├в ctnumber.txt├в is the filename of the CT number report and the CT number report is located in the C:\server directory).

-------------------------
David Micallef

I cant find the ADU for Novell!!!

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

ADU is an offline utility that can be launched from the SmartStart
David Micallef

Ahhh... So maybe HP should update their DOCO as it is really platform independent, and has nothing to do with being supported on novell.

Thanks for all your help..

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

х╝аш╛Й_1
Honored Contributor

yan can find the servury.txt in c:/compaq/servury/ .the servury.txt can report hdd info include serials.