New Discussion

Re: HDD 10k and 15k on a P410i

SOLVED
Go to solution
Peter Hönigschnabel
Occasional Advisor

HDD 10k and 15k on a P410i

Hi

I'd like to set up a RAID 1 array with 10k SAS HDDs and a RAID 5 array with 15k SAS HDDs on one P410i/512MB FBWC (DL 385 G7).

Does this controller this setup support?

I mean does the RAID5 "use" the full speed (15k) of the disks, or will speed go down to 10k?

Best Regards,

Peter

4 REPLIES 4
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Peter, 

It doesnt matter what controller you use, the controller scales down the speed of the hard drives to the lowest hard drive speed on that array. So basically in your setup the hard drives will run at 10K rpm

Edit : Just saw that you are using two different arrays with 10K sas on raid 1 and 15k on raid 5 , so hard drives on raid 1 will continue to work at 10k on that array and raid 5 array hard drives will work at 15k rpm

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
Peter Hönigschnabel
Occasional Advisor

Hi

although I use two arrays, the speed will go down to 10k?

I know that the speed goes down if I use 10k and 15k HDDs together in one array, but I will

use them in two array's.

Best Regards.

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi Peter, 

It doesnt matter what controller you use, the controller scales down the speed of the hard drives to the lowest hard drive speed on that array. So basically in your setup the hard drives will run at 10K rpm

Edit : Just saw that you are using two different arrays with 10K sas on raid 1 and 15k on raid 5 , so hard drives on raid 1 will continue to work at 10k on that array and raid 5 array hard drives will work at 15k rpm

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
blairono

Hello,

No problem for your raid ctrl, the raid1 and the raid 5 will work at their respective speed (10k and 15k in your case).