simple question....
have a brand new ML370 G2
A Smart Array 5i Controller
3 x Scsi Hot Pluggable HDD 36.4Gb

Q = do these hard drives need configuring, or because they are
hot pluggable, do they just need to be plugged in to the 5i controller
and start installing software ???

Thanks in advance

PS where do I look for the Server Serial Number ???

SAB
2 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: HDD SetUp

Not too sure what you mean but here goes. Use smart start CD and select Manual configuration. Follow through the OS selection etc. It will then load Array Config. Select CUSTOM. You can then configure the array, say RAID 1 for the system disks and then new array for the rest of HDD, say raid 5 with online spare. save configuration and exit. Shutdown server. Insert w2k server cd and boot. when it asks " press f6 for scsi " press it. when prompted add the 5300 driver and continue. This will allow you to set the size as big as your disks. I normally use 2 9.1g HDD for system on raid 1 and use the full 9gb for a system disk. Then it is just a standard install after that.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: HDD SetUp

I have a brand new ml370 g2 as well. It has a smart array 5i controller with 6 72gb drives. I try to run the smart start cd but it takes forever, goes through the first couple of steps (choosing the operating system is the last step I actually see) then it reboots, chugs a long for a long time, and then reboots again, and again, and again then it says I have to do the erase thing and start all over. I've never had a compaq server before (and I may never again after this fiasco) so I don't know what to check. It came from the reseller assembled except for the drives which I popped in. What the heck am I doing wrong? Is there any way to look at the array without going through this stupid SmartStart stuff?