Did you mean: 

HDD U320 SCSI LEDs are off

SOLVED
Go to solution
Uri Shimshoni
Occasional Advisor

HDD U320 SCSI LEDs are off

Hi,
I have MSA-30 that connected to ML-350G3 with SA-6404. One of the HDD in the MSA-30 does not show any LED indication. From ACU there are not errors and when viewing physical view all HDD are blinking including the HDD that it's LEDs are off. The problem started after replacing the HDD. Cannot pull the disk out to test in a different bay.
Is there any chance that it is FW problem? or should I search the cause in different area (like in the backplan - particular bay)?
Recently, I have upgrade the FW from another problem (Battery false alarm).
5 REPLIES
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: HDD U320 SCSI LEDs are off

This drive with no leds is configured into an array? It's not an online spare drive is it?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Uri Shimshoni
Occasional Advisor

Of course,
This HDD assigned within Array in RAID 5 with 2 Logical drives.
Set of events happend in the site: overheating (air condition was down) and the original HDD start blinking indicating that it failed. The HDD replaced, but still problem persist. In the next replacement it seems to be fixed but the HDD does not indicate any LED activity.
I checked your tip already.
I guess that we'll need to find the reason in another area.
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi

If the replaced drive is functional, there is possibility of LED connector seating on the drive.

Regards
Mahesh
e4services
Honored Contributor
Solution

I too would suspect a physical problem with the drive sled and nothing with the electrical or software. The lights are generated through led's in the backplane and transmitted to the front using light tubes in the sled. These tubes can be damaged, blocked or mis-seated somehow to cause such a thing.
You can check the sled and check to see if the led's in the backplane are coming on, but you do not see them in the front. If they do not appear on the backplane, then you may have a more complex problem as you think.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Miles Ashley Edwards
Occasional Advisor

I've had this problem many times with DL380 servers. The problem has been a faulty SCSI back-plane indicating a failed drive when nothing is really wrong with the drive.