8018 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HDD scsi drives not starting at power on

jordi garcia_1
Occasional Advisor

HDD scsi drives not starting at power on

Hello,

I have a Proliant ML150 G2 with 2 72gb SCSI disk hot plug, a PCI RAID card and a DAT tape unit (as well scsi).

What is hapening is that the hdd don't get recognised when powering on the server. I get the message:

Not logical drives found
BIOS not installed

The solution is to unplug both disks and reboot the server and now the the disk are recognised by the system.

When I power off the server and switch on again I get the same error and have to hot replug the disks.

Can anyone tell me what i'm doing wrong for the disk not being detected when the server powers on?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

Maybe a termination problem?

jordi garcia_1
Occasional Advisor

The server is being powered off correctly using the OS for that task, if that is what your mean by terminating.

Thanks
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

No, I was thinking more of SCSI terminators.

A SCSI-chain usually needs some sort of terminator at the end. On some chains this is done by adding a small plug on the end of the cable. On others, there's a jumper you set on the last item on the cable so that it acts as a terminator.
Some older Proliant servers had TWO SCSI connectors on the motherboard, and the flat SCSI-cable 'looped' from one connector, past all the devices, and to the second connector.

Which controller are you using?
'PCI RAID card' describes rather a lot of different cards...
jordi garcia_1
Occasional Advisor

I'm using a PCI RAID card. The SCSI backplane is connected to it.

As per POST message:
Controller#00: Adaptec 2120S at PCI Bus:03, Dev:01, Func:00

Thanks for your help!!
jordi garcia_1
Occasional Advisor

I still have the same problem.

Do not know much about terminators but after searching in Google about the subjet haven't been able to come up with a solution.

Any other suggestion?