HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! F10 does not work - cannot access configuration

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hank Cranmore_1
Occasional Visitor

HELP! F10 does not work - cannot access configuration

I just walked into what should have been a simple upgrade of a Proliant 3000 server to Small Business Server 2003 for use as a simple file server. The Server was running an evaluation copy of Server 2003 perfect without flaw. Basically the Hired help is a SBS Guru but a hardware idiot. He was confused as how to boot from floppy and for whatever reason went straight for the Switch 6 reset system configuration. Now I can boot from floppy but get this message:

172-EISA Configuration Nonvolatile Memory Invalid Initialization Aborted.

Now there is no way to boot to the IDE C-Drive to load the CD's and OS.

I have read posts and know the next step is to press F10 and access the configuration and correct the setting.

However, when I press F10 the system reboots and trys to boot from a floppy. I have seen the message "Configuration Not available on this system"

I am at a loss on how to gain access to reconfigure the system configuration.

If I cannot get this back to normal I just bought a broken server.

Basically, the server was booting just fine to an IDE C drive at 4 gigs. Then there are 3 SCSI storage drives.

I am not familiar with the prolient server so may be missing something simple I hope.

If anyone can help figure out why the F10 does not gain access to the configuration I thank you very much in advance.

Hank
5 REPLIES
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: HELP! F10 does not work - cannot access configuration

Sound like he blew away the System Partition.

here is what you do;
Do you have access to the Compaq Smart Start CD? If you have this CD, boot from it and you are golden. If you are not worried about the existing data and such, do a system erase and get the server ready to build it like you want (i.e., with a System partition and no other partitions in the way)
Then, re-boot. Keep the CD in the drive and then do a manual install. You will build the system partiton, reboot, load the partiton, re-boot and then load up the O/S.
ta da... you are done.

Now, if you do not have this CD and cannot wait to order a "SmartStart 5.50" CD from HP, download the following SoftPAQ and build the sysem configuration disks:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html
You will need 4 disks.

Here is the System Erase Utility:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17918.html

Go through the above text except now you feed the server the diskettes instead of a CD.

Let us know if you need more help?
-john
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Hank Cranmore_1
Occasional Visitor

Thanks John! That was exactly what happened. He blew away the configuration. I actually had just figured out the diskette pak and created those and did the update. I did not know about the erase utlity, thanks. Now the server boots smoothly to the c drive with no error msgas. I also was able to update the LCD readout information with my contact info and company name and number. that look nice. Now I have another problem, I cannot boot to CD. Am not sure what is going on with that I will post another msg.
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Hank:

Booting to CD could just be that the boot oder is not set. The is a boot order that sets the controller type (i.e., Floppy, C, CD, PXE) as well as what controller will boot first (SCSI, IDE, etc.)
You can find these in the system configuration Advanced Settings. Arrow down to View / Edit Setings and press enter. The navigate with the arrow keys. There a bunch of settings in the config and most you can accept the defaults.

Alternatively, you can try using another CD-ROM. In my experience, these CD-ROM drives can goof up like that. I have had to replace two CD-ROM's in a 2500 series and one in a 1600 where that was the only problem. After being replaced, they would boot fine.

G'luck with the server and let us know if you need anything else. - john
Enjoy!

Hank Cranmore_1
Occasional Visitor

Thanks, I think I have finally succeeded in gaining the control I need on this server to complete the SBS install. I discovered that the ribbon cable for the IDE drives is not like the normal IDE cable. It looks the same but the end connector for the "First" IDE drive is marked IDE 1 and the second or midle connector is marked IDE 0. Thats backwards from normal desktop setup. Someone had followed normal desktop setup and configures the top IDE as master (or IDE 0) and still connected to the "End" or first cable connection which is clearly marked IDE 1. And so on. So I simply reversed the master and slave settings on the IDE drives to match what is printed on the IDE ribbon cable and it now boots properly. Go figure! Thanks again! Hank
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Hank:
Thank you for the feedback... I had not thought about the "cable select" issue. I will tuck that one away for use the next time someone has ths trouble.
G'luck!
Enjoy!