ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748163 Members
3690 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HELP - server dead, doing a drive swap..

SOLVED
Go to solution
Don Eilenberger
Occasional Advisor

HELP - server dead, doing a drive swap..

Folks, our main server (ML370 G3 with ALL redundent options) had a motherboard failure (multiple fan failures - problem doesn't follow the fan - it stays with the fan position.)

Service is telling me the motherboards are on back-order, so the boss said "get a duplicate server and plug the drives in.."

Which seems reasonable - and the duplicate server should arrive here in parts tomorrow AM.

Question I have - the current server (and new one) does/will use Raid 5 with a Smart Array 642 Raid Controller.

Since the new Raid Controller will not have the drive configuration set in it's BIOS - do I risk blowing out all the data on the old drives that I'll move to the new machine by moving them over?

If so - am I correct in assuming I can simply move my current 642 controller from the dead machine over to the new one - with the drives from the dead machine and I should be off and running?

TIA - and an email response would also be good:

done@bidservice.com

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Array configuration stored on drives - so if you new server will be ML370 G3 with SmartArray 64xx controller you can just move disks to new server and it will works.
Don Eilenberger
Occasional Advisor

Igor - thanks MUCH. It will actually - I believe be an ML370 G4 instead of G3 (don't think the G3 is still available is it?) but other than that - identical machines.

Thanks a lot - this will make life somewhat easier tomorrow.

Funny how replication/mirror is too expensive UNTIL we have a failure like this - then money is NO object.

I figured it out - just for fun - my history with this company (9.5 years) - we've had 99.993% uptime. Not too shabby.

Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor
Solution

ML370 G3 not available yet, but even if you receive G4 server I think it will work - you only need to reinstall Proliant support pack after disk swap (because G4 servers probably use another drivers)
The main problem when you swap disks between servers is SmartArray controller generation. If you receive ML370 G4 with SmartArray 64xx controller you will be able to boot into windows (and then reinstall PSP).
And if you receive ML370 G4 without SmartArray you can use SmartArray 642 from your old server.
One note regarding your service: it is little strange that motherboard replacing takes several days. Our service agreement for servers without warranty - 24 hours, and if server under warranty (3 years) - 6 hours. And we not located in USA.
Don Eilenberger
Occasional Advisor

Igor,

Thanks again. Good idea on the Smart Array controllers. IF the same controller comes with the new server (it's supposed to..) then I'll try the simple drive swap first. If the controller is a different generation - I'll play it very safe and move the old controller with the disks.

And it was rather upsetting to hear that the motherboard is on backorder - they said it wouldn't be available until Feb 2nd - 1 full week.

We supposedly also have 24 hour business day service - but I found out what that means is they might call you back within 24 hours - there apparently is no promise of actually fixing anything.

To say I'm disappointed is putting it mildly. While I am forced to order an HP server again to get up and running - this sort of warranty service WILL influence my choice of vendors for future servers.

e4services
Honored Contributor

The only problems I see is if you are also carrying an OS on the disks you swap. If that OS is WIndows, it my hang on boot if the systems are radically different, loading a disconected drive from the old machine.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
deilenberger
Occasional Advisor

Got it done this AM. Moved the drives and the raid controller card. A few small bugs like a different video setting and a few other things cropped up.. but it's up and running.

Of course about 15 minutes after I got it up and running - I got a call from the local company that rep's HP that they had a motherboard and were on the way.. the old server is fixed. The comment by the chap doing the MB installation was - he'd been doing a LOT of thse for exactly this reason lately.

IMHO - If your fans speed upfor no good reason - time to get hold of HP and demand a new motherboard.