108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HOT SWAPPABLE DISK

SOLVED
Go to solution
Toniro
Occasional Advisor

HOT SWAPPABLE DISK

I have a ML350 G4 sever with 4 "hot swappable" hard disk. One is showing "imminent failure" messages and needs to be replaced. Never done this before so need to know how to go about this. Do I just pull the drive out while system on or can I replace with system off then reboot? Also the disk we currently have to replace with is of different space size so how would that figure in to the raid 5 array. Don't really care if we lose the extra space on the the HD but will it work until we get same sized spaced HD replaced???
11 REPLIES 11
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

"Do I just pull the drive out while system on or can I replace with system off then reboot?"

yes just pull the bad one out and replace with the new one while server is ON, no problem.
that is the idea when the HDDs are hot swappable. avoid downtime on servers

"Don't really care if we lose the extra space on the the HD but will it work until we get same sized spaced HD replaced???"

yes it's going to work and like you're saying you're going lose the space but it's Ok for you

regards
I hope this can help you

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Toniro
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the prompt reply...I will indeed try your suggestions and let you know the outcome. But one more question...if the server cannot boot because of the bad disk is swapping at that point (during booting-can't find the drive) a good idea or do I have to go into the array config to tell it to add the HD so to speak???
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

regarding your last question
"the server cannot boot because of the bad disk is swapping at that point" is it a supposition? right?

while the server is ON you just have to replace the Bad one the new HDD is going to start the rebuild process which automatically will add that HDD to the RAID 5 you dont have to touch anything like Array Configuration Utility, the controller will be on charge of that

regards

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

take a look a this

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1081674

regards
Toniro
Occasional Advisor

Ok...my new hard drive arrived for the server and when the rebuild option came up we accepted the rebuild BUT the server now will not boot..any ideas on what to do next as we just found out the server is no longer under warranty? At a certain point the server ask do we want to hit F8 for "Multi-Initiator configuration" but cannot decide on what to do at this point. We did not use the F8 option so the system started scanning for the SCSI HD but it keeps failing after 3 scan and says no SCSI BIOS installed. If we look at the controller settings it says the logical drive is healthy and ok but does not find any HD's.... Any ideas.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

so you're getting into your OS?

what is the controller you have?

regards
Toniro
Occasional Advisor

HP SMART ARRAY 532 CONTROLLER
Toniro
Occasional Advisor

Haven't been able to BOOT after the array sis the rebuild. HP says to reseat everything but thats going to take a while as its in a rack so was hoping for other ideas to get the system booted up to make sure all the data is still there.
Toniro
Occasional Advisor

Haven't been able to BOOT after the array did the rebuild. HP says to reseat everything but thats going to take a while as its in a rack so was hoping for other ideas to get the system booted up to make sure all the data is still there.