ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753263 Members
5106 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 516806-001 for IPMI, license needed?

SOLVED
Go to solution
silbro
Advisor

HP 516806-001 for IPMI, license needed?

Do I need a license for this HP 516806-001 ? Or can I use IPMI for free once i upgrade a server with the card?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
silbro
Advisor

Ok so I read that I need a license in a pdf from HP. Now what license do I need?

Does a HP iLO Advanced License for iLO3,4,5 also work with a LO100i card?

HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Most HPE Servers ship with the ILO chip onboard as a BMC. Some of these servers come standard with a dedicated ILO port, others require you to share the first NIC port with ILO (or add the dedicated port card like you list). Adding the 516806-001 card doesn't give you ILO, it only gives you a dedicated port for the ILO that's already on the system board.

According to the ILO Licensing Guide , IPMI abilities come standard with ILO on the server. There are some video's on youtube that explain how to setup IPMI in ILO. 

What model server do you have? What generation?

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

silbro
Advisor

Thanks for your reply, that makes sense. It's an old server, it's a DL160G6. I don't need a license for IPMI access?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

by the way, the recommended and meanwhile default setting for IPMI on ILO is OFF because of security.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
silbro
Advisor

Ok thanks for the recommendation. But this is a testlab and it didn't quiet answer my question :-)

HPSDMike
HPE Pro
Solution

So, this server shipped with a different BMC. Rather than ILO, it came with "HP Lights-Out 100i ".  Take a look at the user guide, and quickspecs, and I think you'll find lots of great info there. 

My interpretation of both of those is that you don't need the add-on card (unless you want it for segmentation purposes) and that IPMI is included in the base license that is included with the system. The user guide shows step by step IPMI configuration instructions including using the shared (rather than dedicated) port. 

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

silbro
Advisor

Thanks Mike, perfect answer from you, appreciate it!

Those documents helped a lot and also the additional card isn't needed like you said.

LO100i Standard features are included with the purchase of any HP ProLiant 100 series server and offer a set of basic remote control and management capabilities

LO100 standard features include the following:
тАв IPMI 2.0 and DCMI 1.0 elements available through the operating system (where supported)
тАв IPMI-over-LAN support
тАв Web browser access (HTTP) to power control, system event log, hardware status, and license key activation of optional features
тАв SMASH CLP interface access to remote power control, system event log, hardware status, and operating system serial console
тАв Support for SSL, SSH, and IPMI 2.0 security with factory-default self-signed certificates and keys