108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP 8 Internal Port SAS HBA with RAID 347786-b21 Rom Upgrade does not work

SOLVED
Go to solution
alex_383
Advisor

HP 8 Internal Port SAS HBA with RAID 347786-b21 Rom Upgrade does not work

I upgraded the rom of this card p/n 347786-b21 via this link: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/download/26612.html

Here are the steps I took:

I did an update p: When you look at the update.txt files it says that you have 3 options: 1. update p (for previously programmed cards. 2. update e (to erase a bad card and reprogram 3. update b for a blank adapter.

a. The size of the drives were different after the rom upgrade. i.e. before the upgrade, the raid size was 151gb and after the upgrade 146gb.
b. I could not get into the bios of the raid card anymore.
c. The drives locked up with all lights on.

Step 2. The update p was catastrophic. So I did an update e to erase the flash and reload the entire rom.

Now my card is completely dead. It asking me for to load the rom file and I do not now which one. There are two on the key usb: both called 68I_R_LD.FW. One is in an AO folder and one is in a BO folder. Which one do I use?

Any tips will be appreciated.

Also, why was the size of the drive different>
5 REPLIES 5
John Desvernine
Occasional Contributor
Solution

Re: HP 8 Internal Port SAS HBA with RAID 347786-b21 Rom Upgrade does not work

I have the same issue with one of my systems. Did the same steps as you and now need to reload the old ROM image. Hope someone responds.
alex_383
Advisor

Thank you John for your valuable post. By the way, did you notice the difference in the size of drives?

Here is an interesting point.
The size of drives with the old rom:
In bios 151mb
In windows 146

But with the upgrade which did not work:
The size of drive in bios was 146!

I hope that if it did come up it would not have destroyed my data and I wonder why the size is different in the bios and in windows?
John Desvernine
Occasional Contributor

I don't think you lost the data. If you put the drive in another proliant dl with a working controller, I bet your drives are ok. It is the controller rom that is jacked which has the SAS ID and some raid info on it. Not sure how to recreate the raid group though.
John Desvernine
Occasional Contributor

I just got my controller reflashed. Made a new update floppy. Deleted the 1068\a0 folder since my controller is a B0. Ran sasflash --listall. Put in the path of my firmware \1068\b0\68I_R_LD.FW and it initialized. I then ran update p again and all my card came back online and I was able to use the drive.
alex_383
Advisor

Can you give more details:

1. how did you determine the type of board a or b?
2. Once you listall, there are some parameters you need to know i.e. board number etc. can you list the exact commands as they are not so clear.