ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752653 Members
5932 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

HP AHCI driver for DL360e Gen8?

teleios

HP AHCI driver for DL360e Gen8?

Hello, I own an HP DL360e Gen8 server running Windows Server 2016.

When I use the B120i or P420i controller for storage, I get the HD Max sensor to show up in iLO4 under System Information / Temperatures. When that sensor gets a reading from the hard drives, the server fans spin down to 18 - 23%.

Since I am using SSDs, I want to either switch the B120i to Intel AHCI mode or use an H220 HBA in order to have TRIM support.

When I do so, there is no RAID driver running, so there is no HD Max sensor in iLO, so the fans spin up to 43% in order to keep the disks cool. The iLO, does not know what the temperature of the disks is and as such raises the fan speed to uncomfortable levels, increasing noise and power consumption.

Is there any driver for the HP Intel AHCI onboard controller or for the HP H220 HBA that can work together with the Agentless Management Service and iLO 4 in order for iLO to get an HD Max sensor reading and spin down the fans?

Edit: pci id of the Intel C600 AHCI controller is 8086:1d02

1 REPLY 1
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: HP AHCI driver for DL360e Gen8?

@teleios wrote:

Hello, I own an HP DL360e Gen8 server running Windows Server 2016.

Is there any driver for the HP Intel AHCI onboard controller or for the HP H220 HBA that can work together with the Agentless Management Service and iLO 4 in order for iLO to get an HD Max sensor reading and spin down the fans?

There is not a specific driver for the embedded chipset AHCI controller. As you have discovered when the embedded controller is switched to RAID mode the HPE RAID driver can provide temperature data to iLO via HD Max.  

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!