1753638 Members
5447 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Array question

Cody Crank
Occasional Advisor

HP Array question

I've got an old backup server, with no current backup (go figure). The 4x18gb drives are setup in raid 5 in a DL380 G2.

It booted once, and after a firmware update, will not boot anymore. I get a "Error Loading Operating System" error. It recognizes the array in both Smart Start, and the boot utility.

In an effort to recover data, I've added 2x36gb drives to position 4 and 5 in raid 1+0 and installed Windows on it. Problem I've got now is when the raid5 array is in the system, and the logical drive is seen by the bios, it wants to boot from it, and I get the OS error. When I remove them, delete the logical drive from the boot utility, it loads from the new array fine.

Once in Windows, the 4 drives show up seperately in the ACU, and the ACU doesn't see the logical drive.

Is there any way to move the failed array down on the list, so that windows will boot from the new array, but the bios will still load the logical drive from the failed array? I know I'm reaching here, but since the logical drive contines to load in the BIOS, I've got a glimmer of hope the data is available once I'm able to load the drives from within Windows. Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Re: HP Array question

I am assuming that the firmware update was for the array controller. You have also mentioned that the server boots fine if the old 4 x 18 GB drives are removed and when the logical drive is deleted.

If you have deleted the logical drive, what data are you expecting to retrieve from the 4 x 18 GB drives? So if the drives are showing up as individual drives in Windows, or if no logical drive is not detected in ACU, that's normal.

Can you attach the Array Diagnostic Utility in your next post?
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Cody,

"When I remove them, delete the logical drive from the boot utility, it loads from the new array fine." >>> The moment You deleted the logical drive, the Data is Gone !

I don't think You can retrieve it ! Start Afresh !

www.drivesavers.com "MAY" but too Expensive !

Regards,
James.
Cody Crank
Occasional Advisor

Deleting the logical drive when the drives are removed is the same as replacing the array controller is it not? Or putting the array in a new server?

Once I delete the logical drive - with the drives removed - the server boots from the new aray. Once I reinsert the drives, and turn it on, if recognizes the logical drive again, and attempts to boot, giving me the error.

It's not terribly important, I was just wondering if there was a way, from Windows, to force it online, or a 3rd party util. that would scan for, and recognize failed arrays. The data is obviously there, as it's giving me the Error loading operating system error, and not simply PXE booting, or Non System Disk error. Windows Setup as well see's the 2 dynamic disks when trying to reinstall, but the Recovery Console does not see the Windows install.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Cody,

Yes the Data is still there; However once you delete the Logical drive... All the Matching information on the Controller about the Drive is gone. You create another Logical drive with New HDD... it boots fine;

But, once you put the old HDD back... it cannot match the drive information(now that it has lost the old HDD information & has new details) Thats the reason you get the error;

Regards,
James.
Cody Crank
Occasional Advisor

But I was getting the error before. And that doesn't explain Smart Array card failure...I've had many of those go bad and the server comes back after replacing it. And I've put the 4 drives in the same spot in new hardware, and the same error comes up.

It's alright, we can scrap the data, just wondering.
Louis Henninger_1
Regular Advisor

My understanding of the Smart Array would support the following:
While server is powered down, move Raid1 disks from slots 5 and 6, into 0 and 1.
Boot up server as normal. Once up, bring down server and power off. Insert Raid5 disk set into slots 2-6, power up server. The server should still see the boot disks (Raid1) and now the second set (Raid5)...Shouldn't the Smart Array now see two logical drives? Or do the last four show up as JBODs because they don't match the first two disks?
Heironimus
Honored Contributor

The reason you can't boot from the new drives with the old ones attached probably has to do with the signatures written to the physical disks (SmartArray controllers keep some configuration on the physical disks). As I recall, the SmartArray controllers try to boot the lowest-numbered logical drive they see when they initialize. That will probably be your original array unless you go through some kind of export/import procedure to renumber it ("import foreign disk" or some such).