ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1745786 Members
4117 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Care pack question

HP Care pack question

Hi all,
I need a support for one of my HP Mroliant ML350 G6.
I've subscribe the HP Carepack U8098E (4H Business Day).
I've phoned HP's support center and explain my problem :
Sometimes my entire system freeze under the last archlinux distribution : without any log.
I can run all memory only commands like top, ps, etc, but all commands that need disk access freeze.

--> I suppose that it may be the Smart Array Controler.
I suppose that because my other server, which has exactly the same version of archlinux (a ML Proliant ML350 G6 too, bought the same day) does not have that problem and work perfectly. More, I've ghosted the last one with the first one (who freeze now).

The Carepack support got my phone call and explain same that, "for this time only, they are agree to change my motherboard but, as I've an unknown linux distribution (in fact not validated one), the next time, the Carepack will not work".

Have you encoutered that same problem ?

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
wobbe
Respected Contributor

Re: HP Care pack question

I don├в t use carepacks but I believe that cover only the hardware part of the server. Since it will be hard to prove that your server hardware is infact faulty (you probably don├в t have the HP system management software running) I think HP is very generous replacing your mainboard

wobbe,

thanks for your answer.
But explain me how HP can find a Smart Array problem with an entire frozen system, no matter the Operating System.

Concerning the HP system management software, if HP gives the source code, I can compile it on archlinux, run tests and send them back the result.

If HP system management is a binary, then I can create a redhat live CD and install on it the HP system management software, run the tests and send them back the result.

I don't understand why I need to run my application on redhat or suse to obtains the carepack warranty (which is not free of course...)

Cheers.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

I don't understand why I need to run my application on redhat or suse to obtains the carepack warranty (which is not free of course...)

= everithing is about money, You couls use CentOS.

= if your OS is not officially supported ( certified ) the support is gone, the HP can replace all componnents ion your server, but if the os is freezing, you will be out of support.

mikap