1752815 Members
6238 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP DDR3 memory configurator broken?

Todd Bowden
Valued Contributor

HP DDR3 memory configurator broken?

Does anyone else think HP's DDR3 memory configurator is broken? Im trying to config 36g of memory for a DL380G6 and I chose "Performance" as a preference. It then said I should fully populate 18 2g dimms in the server. How is this possible? I have a presentation that says if you fully populate all slots, you bump your memory speed down to 800mhz. So really the ultimate configuration in my case would be 6 x 4g, and 6 x 2g. This would put my speed at 1066mhz. Can someone check my assumptions?
4 REPLIES 4

Hello,

There are known issues with the mem config tools. It gives the wrong info for loads of servers.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary, is that little extra.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

in your case i would contact HP directly,

they should be able to send you the configuration immediately.

mikap
TTr
Honored Contributor

Check the quickspecs for 800MHz vs. 1066MHz memory speed. It does not look like it is determined by the number of DIMMs but rather by the type of them RDIMM vs UDIMM. You can also go upto 1333MHz with UDIMMs and ROM upgrade. http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13234_na/13234_na.html

The memory configurator is very naive and does not take into account specific server limitations. If you choose performance it simply uses more modules of lower density. If you choose expandability it chooses fewer modules of higher density so that you use fewer slots and are able to add more modules later.

The same is true with the disk drive selector. It asks for total GB but gives you no control of the number and size of disks.

I wish they changed it back to the old style where you were given all the memory and disk slots for you server model and you chose exactly the memory and disk size you needed. Just like it is with the PCI slots.

Use the configurator as a reference tool only to get an idea of the overall cost of the server. When time comes to order, specify exactly what you need with your sales rep.

TTr
Honored Contributor

> Im trying to config 36g of memory

The UDIMMs are only available at 1 and 2GB modules and can only install 12 out of the 18 slots, so the maximum you can get is 24GB. To get more than 24GB in this server you have to buy the RDIMMs and you can run them at 1066 and 1333 based on the DIMM type that you buy. Check the memory section of the quickspecs http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13234_na/13234_na.html#Memory