plz press f9 at start up and join the RBSU
--> Advanced Options
--> Thermal Configuration
--> Choose "increased cooling"

does this help ?
irens
Advisor

Re: HP DL 165 G6 very noisy - fan speed

Is this correct for DL 165 G6 too ? I can't find this in BIOS menu.
Romulus6cbc
Frequent Advisor

Yes, I am wondering the same thing. Is this applicable to the DL120 G6 and the DL180 G6? Although I did find documentation here that suggests it is -
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00191707/c00191707.pdf

I tried it on the DL120, but it didn't work. I haven't tried it on the DL180 yet, as the DL120's system board blew out while doing a BIOS update. HP is sending out a system board tomorrow. I am afraid to restart the DL180, as it might not boot up, as the DL120 is the domain controller. If slowing down the fans is as easy as changing the settings in RBSU then not only does HP suck as leading IT manufacturer, but so does their L1 & L2 HP support. I will laugh if it is that easy.
Manuel Boosch
Frequent Advisor

have nearly all g6 models here but no 160/165. seems to be a different RBSU, saw it in the user manual
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01756929/c01756929.pdf

u are right there is no thermal configuration option :-(

Romulus6cbc
Frequent Advisor

Expanding on my previous test, I performed several other tests with different PCIe configurations. My findings are attached. The culprit seems to be the PCIe expansion card.
irens
Advisor

Hi.

For me HP company and people behind it learned nothing - look at this thread:

https://community.hpe.com/t5/General/Fedora-13-Installation-Problems-HP-DL165/m-p/4656492/highlight/true#M18453

Solution: New BIOS to reduce fan speed, when there is in server a PCi riser card.

So this is know for HP, in another model, but this happend in past.

So, HP tech people - fix BIOS for our server, so they could be in the last so quiet.

gui2_1
Occasional Advisor

@Romulus6cbc
Nice you wrote it on a pdf file. I do almost the same test you will find result below :
For these test, i use only a SUPPORTED network card (NC360T). I read this value from the LO100 card web interface.

Server with riser card an PCIe Card plugged on it :
Fan FAN1_INLET Normal operating range 8269.2 RPM
Fan FAN2_INLET Normal operating range 8269.2 RPM
Fan FAN3_INLET Normal operating range 12621.4 RPM
Fan FAN4_INLET Normal operating range 12621.4 RPM

Server without riser card and PCIe card plugged directly on motherboard :
Fan FAN1_INLET Normal operating range 5709.7 RPM
Fan FAN2_INLET Normal operating range 5848.9 RPM
Fan FAN3_INLET Normal operating range 7494 RPM
Fan FAN4_INLET Normal operating range 3155.3 RPM

Serveur without ani PCIe card with riser module (without riser module value below are quite the same)
Fan FAN1_INLET Normal operating range 2467 RPM
Fan FAN2_INLET Normal operating range 2512 RPM
Fan FAN3_INLET Normal operating range 2438.7 RPM
Fan FAN4_INLET Normal operating range 2453.4 RPM

Now i'm so bored to do HP support job I spend to much time on this problem. This is not our job to test & test & test configurations. Problem is identified.
HP GIVE US A FIX !!!
I gonna throw this server out!
Romulus6cbc
Frequent Advisor

@gui2
First of all, thanks for posting your results. Second, thanks for making me laugh. I agree with your conclusions, but please don't give up yet. I have a feeling we, as in the user forum community, might be close to a solution. No thanks to those idiot engineers at HP. These are my first HP servers, but not the first time dealing with HP support. In my opinion, they've always sucked, and never have done anything to improve their client services. The HP L2 engineer actually asked me to do a bunch of tests and report the results back to him/her. As you said, it is NOT our job. They should be able to recreate the situation in their labs with the given configuration. It makes me suspect more and more that HP is fully aware of the problem, but refuse to do anything about it, either because they don't have a solution, or it would cost too much to fix the problem. I am accustomed to dealing with Dell. Their server support is based in North America, and are very knowledgeable and helpful, but Dell has it's own problems with non-standard parts and third party contractors.

So I was looking at the forum thread suggested by IRENS, and it got me thinking that maybe the chipset with the silver heatsink (cooling plate), between the PCIe riser card slots and the DIMMs, is really overheating due to the PCIe expansion card being positioned right over it, causing the Fan 3 to rotate at a higher speed (as suggested in the thread for the ML350 G6). So I am going to order a small chipset fan, install it right on top of the heatsink, and see if that slows down the fans. Probably will take me a few days. Plus the optional redundant fan kit that I ordered a couple of weeks ago, arrives Tuesday, so I will test that out also, and post the results. Well everyone have a good week, but bring your ear plugs to work with you, LOL!
gui2_1
Occasional Advisor

@Romulus6cbc
:)
I can't give up now cause our system will be too noisy! But i'm really borred dealing with L1 support guy (notice that i'm stay correct). But they are really not helpfull with us.
I'm a regular HP server user but not this line of product, these (160-180 series) are the low-end side of their productline - I think. But that does not give them the right to leave us stuck with these kind of problem. I start contacting the HP support 1 month ago (I open my support ticket 05/07/2010) ; pinpoint this problem since the beginning.
If this "problem" is "by design" (with microsoft words :) ) So tell us, and we won't bother you more !
If not ; please tell us we the new firmware gonna be released (days, month ...) ! And then won't bother more the hp support ;)

irens
Advisor

Anybody knows, any HP responsive person read this community forum ? Or this only like a "wish list" for frustrated HP customers ?