ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748185 Members
4412 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP DL 320 G6 Raid Controller Issue

Michael Lippman

HP DL 320 G6 Raid Controller Issue

Have a server that smart start CD could not find HDD controller. Doesn't matter whether raid is enabled or not. When accessing Boot Controller Order in Bios screen flashes but can't see the Boot Controller Order screen.

Flashed BIOS to current version. Ran FIRMWARE CD but CD did not find anything to upgrade.

Almost as if server is not seeing either the embedded controller even though it's listed in the bios under PCI device Enable/Disable.

Received brand new server this a.m. EXACT same result with new server. Have case open with HP support and they are saying the system board is bad. I am having a hard time understanding how that could be the case on two separate servers.

Anybody with any ideas would be most appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

It does seem quite unlikely yeah. Are the serial numbers very close to eachother? (if they are odds are that the system boards are broken from the factory).

Anyway, you did try to enable/disable the raid controller right?
Did you try to clear the whole server from BIOS?

Maybe to clear NVRAM with the DIP-switch on board would be worth a shot as well. It is called the system maintenance switch and it is jumper 6 you need to put in on-mode, start server, wait a while, shut it down and then put it back in off position.

Only last thing: have you tried to downgrade the firmware on the BIOS?

See http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3929672&swItem=MTX-e4cf9699e9544a39b9cf2003ca&prodNameId=3929673&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=5 for previous revisions.
Michael Lippman

I did used the system maint. switch to clear the CMOS. Can you clarify what you mean by saying clear the whole server in BIOS.

I will check the link you sent and also will make a note of the serial numbers. Hoping to see an onsite tech today to resolve the issue.
Michael Lippman

Left one piece out. Both servers came with BIOS dated from May 2009. Upgraded both to the Aug. 2009 code. Also downgraded one server one revision back to the June BIOS. Can't find the May 2009 BIOS to try. Same behavior in all scenarios.

I made a firmware CD (Identical to the link you sent.) and it came up with no updates needed. I did a forced install and no change after that.

I will update this note after I see an onsite tech this afternoon if I can coordinate it.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

There is a clear server/erase system in the BIOS, that is what I meant with whole server.

Will be waiting for your update from the visit by the engineer.