ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748030 Members
5097 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP DL 380 G5 hangs for no apparent reason

HP DL 380 G5 hangs for no apparent reason

Hi!

I have a particular server hanging every 12-25 days for no reason. No log entries in the syslog, no entries in the ILO log.

The server is running Linux OS, but the exact same OS is used in couple of other servers without problems and with uptimes from one till another "mandatory" reboot (100days+), so this basically rules out software problems.

I have already tested it for memory issues and reconfigured Memory in mirrored mode, but this did not help.

Now, as this clearly indicates the hardware failure, does HP offer replacing it with NEW hardware which is given IN ADVANCE? This is production server and we cannot afford to send it to HP for replacement.

6 REPLIES 6
Fabian Calvo
Advisor

I don't think a complete hardware replacement (meaning new server) in advance would be possible. I'd recommend logging a call with support so they can dig a little deeper into the logs and see exactly what the problem is.
Sergey Shvets

Hi,

Was this actually solved?

We experience quite the same problem on a serverpark of 10+ HPs.

Kind regards,
Sergey

Not yet.
I contacted Slovenian HP support and they promised me a response (and that was a while ago) but nothing happened since.

What is true is that in the meanwhile the server was reconfigured to only work with 2GB of ram. Then it hanged as before in 26 days. But since then it has been working without hangs, currently 70days of uptime and counting.
Configuration did not change, in particular Linux kernel was not replaced, workload did not change, maybe some minor software version upgrade was done but this "should" not have an impact on given issue.

If you need further info, ask away,
b.

Sergey Shvets

Hi,

Indeed, we experiencing this issue on our serverfarm as well.

Suddenly server just hangs, and you cannot connect it neither through SSH or iLo.

It doesn't look like a kernel panic issue, and also a warning bell is the fact that we cannot access the console through iLo.

Thx,
Sergey
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

what have you tried ,firmware cd 8.6 ??
software cd rom 8.3
are supplemendal update drivers and firmwares installed
are the others servers the same make and model and generation, supply some info for us to help

what does offline diagnostics say
what does acu offline say..

try these tests after firmwares and drivers are in place updated

enjoy :)

The difference here is that we are able to access server by ILO without any problem.

b.