ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752272 Members
5443 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP DL 380 g6 + Sas Expander / 2nd Hard Drive Cage

ToddMartin

HP DL 380 g6 + Sas Expander / 2nd Hard Drive Cage

I have an existing Raid 50 on 8 SFF sas drives. I have ordered a sas expander card, and 2nd hard drive cage and (8) HD's. When I go to recable the sas expander card in - will it preserve my existing RAID configuration? 

The more I think about this the more nervous I have because I need the existing RAID to stand up and boot, and I want the new (8) HD's to be configured as secondary internal storage.

Yikes!

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

No problem.

The sas expander just give you more connectors. You connect the existing P410i to the expander and the disk cages to the expander.

When boot up, the controller will notice a drive position change, but the configuration will remain.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Sbrown
Valued Contributor

trust me ! Get the 2nd riser PCI 10gbe (2 x8) and use two raid controllers.

I have run TWO LSI 9266, TWO LSI 9260, TWO P410, and TWO P420 on DL380 G6 with great success. plus two emulex BE2 10gbe nic's!

4 x 10gbe nic and dual raid controller is the best solution!

Good thing you can buy the DL380 G6 on ebay for $599 with 48gb of ram and 2 L5639 6 core cpu!! STUPID CHEAP!
d3vnul
Frequent Advisor

For how long period have you tested P420 on DL380 G6 ? While i know it's not officially supported on < Gen8 i also suspected they will work just fine. Tho i read something about the fact that they are pretty hot and require good cooling (and this might be the first reason why hp state that they can be damaged or damage the server if used on a G6/G7).

I was also thinking to snipe a p420 to use on a dl380 g6 or dl360 g6 for a nice ssd array since the p410(i) are limited to 50k iops and no caching option and the fact that sata ssds will work only at 3Gbps *Cry*.

anthony11
Regular Advisor

@Sbrown wrote:
trust me ! Get the 2nd riser PCI 10gbe (2 x8) and use two raid controllers.

Logical volumes can't span HBA's, and neither can spares.  This approach may work for some situations, but not all.