4304 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP DL120 G6 - AHCI Windows 2003 std 64bit install

insertcoin
Visitor

HP DL120 G6 - AHCI Windows 2003 std 64bit install

Hi, 

Having a bit of trouble with a DL120 G6, Windows 2003 and AHCI. 

When I enable it in the BIOS the windows setup failed with a BSOD (0x0000007B). I have tried lots of different drivers to get it working. 

Ive updated the firmware to no avail. 

Followed the details as shown in the advisory: c01749050

Tried all the drivers inside iata70_enu.exe.

Any help or advice with this would be greatly appreciated.. been banging my head against a wall all day.

(its a server rebuild for a legacy server, and needs to be on 2003 :( )

6 REPLIES 6
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Just a suggestion, I am not sure if this works or if you have already tried.

In BIOS change SATA Controller to Compatible and not AHCI.

Install Windows 2003.

Reboot and go into BIOS and change to AHCI after Windows installation.

Hope this works or you may get "Operating System not found" error message.

Some references here and here.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

insertcoin
Visitor

Hi, 

I tried in compatible mode and it works fine, then tried to enable it in Windows, restart it and enable it in the BIOS but it gives the same message. 

Just so I can be sure, what is the definite driver for the dl120 g6 or how can I find out what driver I need?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I think this Customer Advisory may address your issue. The resolution is to run in compatibilty mode, or go to an Intel site and get a driver

Windows Server 2003 - The AHCI Drivers for Windows Server 2003 Are Not Included
with ProLiant Servers with AHCI.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c01749050-4%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
insertcoin
Visitor

As mentioned I have tried the instructions in the c01749050 advisory.....!

I justneed to know how to identify the exact driver required for the F6 installation on Windows 2003 x64 when AHCI mode is enabled in the BIOS. 

Little lost for words that there doesnt appear to be anywhere that clearly says what driver is required. Even the latest Easy Setup disk doesn't work when AHCI is enabled. 

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Sorry, I missed the line in your post where you had already seen the advisory.

Have you tried this one from the Intel page

Supports SATA RAID 5/10 on specific desktop platforms, SATA RAID 0/1, AHCI, and matrix RAID on specific desktop and mobile platforms

OS: Windows  Server 2003 *, Windows  Server 2003 Ente....
More  Windows  Server 2003 *, Windows  Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition*, Windows  Server 2003 Standard Edition*, Windows  Server 2003 Standard x64 Edition*, Windows  Server 2008 *, Windows Vista *, Windows Vista 32*, Windows Vista 64*, Windows XP  *, Windows XP  Home Edition*, Windows XP  Media Center Edition*, Windows XP  Professional x64 Edition*, Windows XP  Professional*>

Date 3/13/2009

Version 8.8.0.1009

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
insertcoin
Visitor

I have finally managed to get it working, the issue that I had was that on the F6 install it had a large number of drivers to pick from, and any driver I selected failed.

For anyone else that runs into the problem, this may help:

Locate a USB Floppy Drive  

Locate the file intel esb2 ich7-8-9-10 sata ahci raid 64bit.zip I got them from here http://www.tim.id.au/blog/tims-f6-driver-guide/ towards the bottom "Intel ESB2 and ICH7/8/9/10 SATA AHCI/RAID 64bit"

Copy the contents inside the zip file to the floppy disk
    Plug in USB Floppy Drive but not the floppy disk
    Boot the server
    Enable AHCI in the BIOS
    Boot Windows 2003 R2 64 bit installation disk
    Press F6 when prompted to installed SCSI RAID Drivers
    Press S when promptedInsert floppy disk
    Select "PCH Sata AHCI Controller"Press Enter
    Continue with the installation as normal, it should recognise the HDDs now and install.

Install SP2
    Install .net 3.0

Download RST_10.0.0.1046_WHQL_RAID_AHCI_drv_and_GUI.zip (

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2475&DwnldID=22539&keyword=%22ahci+sata+driver%22&lang=eng)

Run iata_cd.exe in the "GUI" Directory
    This should install the correct and updated drivers that are required.
    Reboot

There may be a better method for doing this, and there may be the correct driver from the floppy disk without having to run the second installation file... However as soon as it started working for me and got me with a working copy of Windows I wasn't too fussed. 

My overall issue was not knowing the exact name of the driver that needed to be installed, instead the floppy disk showed 8+ drivers to pick from and my first attempt with a disk created via the files downloaded from intel and selecting everyone to get the install to recognise the HDDs with AHCI enabled proved fruitless. As you can imagine that proved very very frustrating!