5027 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP DL160 G5, iLO Password Reset

SOLVED
Go to solution
PigLover

I have a used DL180 G6.  I don't know the iLO password or username.

I've tried the IPMItool method listed above and I still can't log in.

The password has probably been reset correct, but I think the username has been changed too.

Can anyone give instructions to reset the default USERNAME for the iLO100 on a DL180 G6?

Robsonr

I have gone through the pain of figuring out how to login into HP ILO 100, so I decided to share my findings for benefit of others.

Step1)

Use dos bootable USB memory stick with HP Dos version of ipmitool and reset password as outlined in the post by Kotate.

ipmitool.exe 20 18 47 03 02 61 64 6d 69 6e 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Try to login as admin/admin. If it works, you are done. If it doesn't work, somebody changed the user name. Continue with step 2.

Step2)

You need openipmi tools for Linux. That tool is able to list the users. HP Dos tool doesn't support same command line parameters and therefore you cannot use same syntax as shown bellow. Maybe there is a way how to do same with HP Dos ipmitool, but I didn't find how.

Use any Linux distribution you like. It can be Ubuntu live CD, Backtrack, or any other you are familiar with. Boot the server of that CD/USB. Either have ipmitool already installed prior to boot, or use commands to install it after successful boot.

This is not a detailed instruction how to install it on Linux and how to get it working, it is just general guide line, because I didn’t capture exact steps when I was doing it.

In my case I used Backtrack5 live CD. I booted of that CD and made all the changes to make sure that the server has access to Internet. Backtrack is Debian based distribution, so those steps should work with Ubuntu and other distributions as well.

Next update package repository information – apt-get update. When completed, you can search for packages by typing apt-cache search ipmi. I installed ipmitool package and few more (I don’t remember the exact list and I am not sure which are required except ipmitool). You also need to have ipmi kernel modules loaded, otherwise tool will complain that /dev/ipmi device driver is missing. Load the modules by modprobe <module name>. I loaded following modules: ipmi_msghandler and ipmi_si. After that you should have your device drivers and you are good to go.

Run command ipmitool user list. The command will list all the set users in your ILO. Look for user on position number 3. Use that user and password admin (set in a step number 1) to get into ILO.

The information about using Linux openipmi and ipmitool I found in this thread:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/DL145-G2-iLO-password-reset/m-p/5354213/highlight/true#M124225. Credit goes to coredump4.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

I also wanted to thank HP for making it soooo complicated. Why there is no factory reset which would help in such situation????

Storycrafter

To reset the user name (for slot 3, as above):

ipmitool.exe 20 18 45 03 61 64 6d 69 6e 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

CHTDVG

Hi

Just found another solution for the password reset of the admin account:

- Download  IPMIutil here: http://ipmiutil.sourceforge.net/FILES/ipmiutil-2.9.1.msi

- instal on your windows plateform

- CMD

- cd "Program Files (x86)"\sourceforge\IPMIutil

- ICMD [20 18 45 03 61 64 6d 69 6e 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00]

Worked for me some minutes ago ...

Bye

usuallyadellguy

Re: HP DL160 G5, iLO Find the USER ID

For those of you who need to know what your admin username is:

Step 1 - Download these tools

http://ipmiutil.sourceforge.net/FILES/ipmiutil-2.9.1.msi

[if downloads as .man file, rename to MSI] - Link was buggy first time I went at it

Step 2 - Install tools

Step 3 - Open CMD with Administrative Priv

Step 4 - Navigate to the following path:

C:\Program Files (x86)\sourceforge\ipmiutil\

Step 5 - Run command

ipmiutil.exe lan -U admin

Step 6 - Look for the username to be within the "(xxx)"

User Access(chan2,user1): 10 82 01 32 : IPMI, User   ( )

User Access(chan2,user2): 10 42 01 33 : IPMI, Operator (XXXXX)

User Access(chan2,user3): 10 42 01 34 : IPMI, Admin  (XXXXX)

User Access(chan2,user4): 10 82 01 35 : IPMI, OEM    (OEM)

User Access(chan2,user5): 10 82 01 33 : IPMI, Operator (Operator)

Step 7 - Identify the username within "(xxxx)"

User Access(chan2,user3): 10 42 01 34 : IPMI, Admin  (XXXXX) = your admin user account

This beats taking a production server offline to boot into MSdos environment or linux live CD

-Chris