Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP DL160 G6 and Smartarray P410i

Mikael Bååth
Occasional Visitor

HP DL160 G6 and Smartarray P410i

Hello

I've got a HP DL 160 G6 server here with two SAS HDDs. I've plugged the SAS disks into the MiniSAS port and booted the server. However, I see nowhere where I can configure the Smartarray and the disks. The BIOS seems to only like the SATA RAID controller (B110i).

Where can I find the RAID configurations menu?

Thanks
--
Mikael Bååth
5 REPLIES
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: HP DL160 G6 and Smartarray P410i

Does the 410 show up anywhere in the bios? Check if it is plugged in firmly in the slot.
Try disabling the B110i in the bios to see if it masks the 410.
Vernny
Advisor

Hello Mikael, I hope you're doing well.

I would suggest to check this link explaining the RAID config according with your needs:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01728028/c01728028.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

If you would like to used RAID 5, 5+0 (Distributed Data Guarding) with P410i, 256MB cache is required. Check link below:

Quick Specs DL160 G6
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13247_div/13247_div.HTML

Regards,
Vernny D.
Glenn Matthys
Frequent Advisor

Not all versions of the DL160G6 ship with the Smart Array P410, please check if there is actually a P410 controller in your server and it is connected to the harddrive backplane.

If you really ordered a DL160G6 with a P410 controller and it is missing from your server, contact HP.
Mikael Bååth
Occasional Visitor

Well, it turns out the server I ordered did not ship with a Smartarray P410 and that's why I did not have a configurations menu for it.

I confused the two when looking at my retailers homepage. Since both stated they supported SAS this was an easy thing to do. How somthing supports SAS without having a SAS controller however, is a much more interesting story. It seems inWarehouse which is my supplier feels that you can write SAS on any server which supports you putting a separately purchased SAS controller into it.

Even if I cannot close this thread per say, I finish it by stating, don't buy your HP servers from inWarehouse. They don't know what they are doing and should confine their business to home electronics.
Glenn Matthys
Frequent Advisor

The DL160G6 does have an onboard SAS connector, you can use that one and apply software RAID.