Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP DL180 G6 12-bay with P410 SA + 1 GB FBWC hard drives failing

urbee
Occasional Contributor

HP DL180 G6 12-bay with P410 SA + 1 GB FBWC hard drives failing

Hello,

we're using a HP DL180 G6 12-Bay server which has a P212 in original but has been replaced with a P410 SmartArray with 1 GB FBWC.

The server is running 4x SATA 1 TB WD RE4 in RAID 10 and 6x 450 GB SAS in RAID 10 (4x HP SAS, 2x IBM SAS 15k), operating system ESXi 5.0.

When originally installed with 1 GB FBWC the P410 did not recognize any drives and just stalled at checking the RAID controller or timed out with some error message after long minutes. IT was running the latest firmware available on a Firmware DVD. I figured out it was a firmware issue and updated to 5.70 (B) using an USB key.

The raid controller then worked like a charm and found the cache + drives with no issues.

A short while ago i noticed 3 of the 6x450 GB drives failed! Two HP branded and one IBM branded. All showing amber light and also a warning in ESXi that they are in Interim Recovery.  I removed the drive and re-added it and it seems to work again but i am 99% sure this is not an issue with the drive but rather with the controler/firmware.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue or which firmware to use? Any similar problems? I read that there were some issues with a 12-bay cage firmware but seems an older one so 5.70 (B) shouldt be affected?

Thanks