ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751687 Members
5324 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP DL185 Server Wont start

Tunde Aina

HP DL185 Server Wont start

My HP proliant Server DL185GS has refused to start in all modes, safe, Last Known Good Configuration ETC. I cant find the backup discs. while trying to boot it says system log full. I have been able to identify a faulty hard drive although a faulty hard drive should not prevent the server from booting since it is RAID
7 REPLIES 7
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

That would be RAID1 or RAID5?

DL185GS? You mean G5?
(Generation 5, in case you wonder)

'System log full' alone shouldn't stop a server from restarting. IT just means it can't write any error messages to it.
(It may be possible to boot the server with a Linux LiveCD and rename the system logfile, to resolve that issue)

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Is the OS in RAID 5. I have seen this happen with a corrupted paging file. The OS and Paging/swap should only be in RAID 1 or 10 and never 5.

Did you do any upgrades on it? I have seen Windows patches and generic hardware patches cause this.

A faulty hard drive could cause this issue. Try replacing it. You will also want to upgrade the firmware on all drives so they match. You don't want mismatched firmware.
Tunde Aina

Its a RAID 10. Please whats the filename of the system logfile?

would booting with DOS CD achieve the same thing as the linux live CD?
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

DOS CD will not get into NTFS. You could boot the OS CD/DVD and do a repair administrative session. This will get you to C:\Windows. Look for bootlog.txt.

I would start with the HP Diagnostics on the RAID drives. Replace the bad drive. Get it to fail over and rebuild. A bad drive could cause Windows to corrupt. So start by replacing the bad drive. You don't want to run a server with bad hard drives in RAID. You should consider two spare drives for RAID 10.
Tunde Aina

Thanks Michael. I will start with replacing the hard drive
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

What controller are you using? The embedded SATA RAID controller (software RAID), or a plug in Smart Array COntroller?

>although a faulty hard drive should not
>prevent the server from booting since it
>is RAID

Depending on the RAID level (RAID 0 is a good example) a bad disk can destroy a RAID volume.

>Michael A. McKenney
>The OS and Paging/swap should only be
>in RAID 1 or 10 and never 5.

Regardless of the issue here, I will have to disagree with this statement. There is no reason the OS/Paging file cannot be located on a RAID 5 array.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Tunde Aina

I think the RAID is a Smart Array Controller.

Michael, please what version of Linux live cd do i need? server or desktop edition?