4688 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

Re: HP DL20 Gen10 Supported M2 Hardware

n4p
Occasional Contributor

HP DL20 Gen10 Supported M2 Hardware

Hi there,

i search since arround an hour, but i didn't found any answer. So i feel free to ask here in the support forum and hope to get an answer.

What kind of M2 is supported in the DL20 internal Slot? Just for Information, it's for Homeuse, so it's not critical.

I tried to use an Transcend SATA M2 but those didn't get regnoized. So i think M2 PCIe should be the correct way?
Or is there a signature lock that there is only hp branded hardware supported?

Thanks in advance
Manuel

8 REPLIES 8
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

According to the Quickspec, M.2 2280

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
kinkingunta
Occasional Advisor

chrislee18a
Occasional Advisor

Please refer to the DL20 quick spec, Upgradeability section.

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=a00053820enw

The DL20 Gen10 supports M.2 NVMe SSD, so a M.2 SATA SSD will not work.

And for the M.2 lengths supported, please refer to the DL20 Gen10 User guide , M.2 SSD system board connectors section.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00059221en_us

It should support 2242, 2280, 22110.

If you want to use M.2 SATA SSD, you would need a "M.2 SATA SSD expansion board" also metioned in the User guide.

Hope this helps.

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken links.]

I am a HPE Employee.
AnthonyOPT

I have the same question.

WIll a "SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 2280 250GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-N6E250BW" work in the board mounted slot of a ProLiant DL20 Gen 10?

Or must it be an HPE brand M.2?

KevinSpringPM
HPE Pro

Only the HPE drives are tested, so we can't tell you for certain if other drives will work properly or not. I will say the odds are lower because that's a consumer grade drive that's not designed to be used in a server. If it does work you may also experience high fan speeds because the server may not be able to read the proper temperature sensors of the drive.

I'm an HPE Product Manager

Accept or Kudo

mysy
Valued Contributor

The DL20 Gen10 motherboard M.2 slot is support  NVME m.2 SSD driver. and also you need install HPE logo SSD model. or your chassis fans will go up 45% speed and make alot noise.

I install HPE VS000960KWDUQ,960G NVMe 22110, it work fine with DL20 G10, but price like double retail verison 960G nvme SSD card.
O1CN01tbcdQP27FKt5UndBC_!!0-fleamarket.jpg_430x430.jpg

Also your could install two SATA M.2 to PCIE slot, Hpe have the option card for it . need connect sata cable to motherboard sata port. PCIE only for power the card.

O1CN01rYyAEA1MMOxwAhgrz_!!0-fleamarket.jpg_430x430.jpg

O1CN01TGST2E1MpiNJzthBZ_!!0-fleamarket.jpg_430x430.jpg

LeeBridgewater
Occasional Advisor

@mysy 

Hello MySy

Your reply has really helped me as I needed to kow whether the M2 NVME PCIe drive could just be installed into the system board NVME slot without the ILO board, and the maxinum length of the NVME drive too (110mm). 

I do have a quick question, sorry to jump on this thread, however can I install and use the NVME drive within the Host OS (I don't want to use it as the boot drive) as I currently have Server 2019 installed on a Raid-1 setup with 2x HPE SATA disks in the front of the DL20 Gen 10, the NVME would simply be used for additional storage for a couple of VM disks to increase performance. 

Thanks in advance!

Lee

mysy
Valued Contributor

Sure, you could use it as D driver. Just set the correct boot up option list in the bios