5902 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP DL360 G3 Noise

Mart Lootsma
Occasional Advisor

HP DL360 G3 Noise

Hi,

I have a DL360 G3 server. The problem is the fan noise. It is already lowered to normal and Insights Manager says that the fans are running on normal. The environment in my office is around 19 degrees celsius. I haven't placed it in a rack yet.

Is the normal speed the lowest speed? Is it possible to remove one or two fans without getting the "Not optimal" error?

Regards,
Mart
12 REPLIES 12
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

HP servers are noisy. Don't remove the fans. On some models, the server will not start. You also don't want to set them lower. The fans are programmed to protect the server by providing proper airflow.
Mart Lootsma
Occasional Advisor

But is the "normal" speed really the lowest speed? And the DL360 G3 server is know because of its noise problem. Maybe that it really isnt the lowest. I heard from people that they have the same server but they have less noise. And I have good cooling conditions for the server, so maybe it is possible to remove one of the fans?
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

HP has circuitry to detect a fan removal. It could stop the server from booting. You want to extra fans in case one fails. My server room has many servers in it. So I do understand. Newer servers have better fan speed controls. Some of the G2 and G3 servers did not have lower settings.
Mart Lootsma
Occasional Advisor

Yes i found out about the fan thing because my server starts up and then says it isnt optimal... isnt it possible to disable that automated check?
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Even my servers on POST run fan at 100% for 30 seconds. It tests each fan RPM to verify its spinning properly and did not fail. I have 6-11 fans in each server. Every possible fan. I installed two A/C units in the server room. I keep all the fans in case the A/C fails. I rather not lose a server due to heat issues if the A/C fails.
Mart Lootsma
Occasional Advisor

I appreciate your help but the only thing I'm asking if it is possible to remove one fan without the errors? And if not, do you know any other ways to reduce sound production?
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You could try to remove a fan, I would not do it for safety. Do you have the latest system rom installed? Try firmware upgrade. See if it adds fan controllers. I remember reading something about them adding fan controls to G3 models in BIOS.

Mart Lootsma
Occasional Advisor

Well they said they added it and I do believe them but the sound isnt as far as low as it could get. If I remove one fan, it says that the fan condition is not optimal etc and shuts down.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Verify the firmware and system rom is up to date. Server is designed to protect itself from end users. It could shut down due to less than optimal fan condition. Check the BIOS and see if the fan control can be modified. I keep my server room at 68F and fans still are loud.