Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP DL360 G4 6I Drive Corruption

Kim Kruse Hansen
Occasional Visitor

HP DL360 G4 6I Drive Corruption

Hi there

We have two HP DL360 G4 servers with similar problems.

They are running IBM Directory Server , an LDAP server , which sits on top of DB2.

The servers are equipped with 192 MB battery backed RAM on the 6I controller.

When we configure the HP array configuration setup with a 50R/50W cache ratio , the server will run for 1-2 days and then DB2 will shutdown with invalid data in its data files. It seems like the files have become corrupted..

Running with cache ratio 100R/0W fixes the prolem , although the servers are obviously slower.

We have upgraded all driver sw that we can think of , but with no luck. As soon as we change cache ratio , the problem reappears after a while ...

We need some input on this problem ...
7 REPLIES
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: HP DL360 G4 6I Drive Corruption

What does IBM recommend for the cache setting?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

This does not look like a server hardware issue, if it runs fine with 100R/0W means you need to fine tune it or add more resource like memory and try.

Rdgs

HGN
Kim Kruse Hansen
Occasional Visitor

We want to use hardware disk caching , because the Directory Server is very IO intensive. It does a lot of writes. Which we can see from the "ave disk queue write length" counter in the performance monitor.

Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

What does IBM recommend?

If they recommend using only read cache (I don't know if they do or not), because of the exact issue you're describing, then I would follow this recommendation.

It may require using a higher end controller to get better performance.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Kim Kruse Hansen
Occasional Visitor

Its at this point in time not a question of performance. We are concerned that when we enable a cache ratio of 50/50 , then DB2 crashes after a while. This could indicate , that the controller is corrupting its cache.

Simon Adams_2
Occasional Contributor

I made a similar post to this today - I didn't notice this thread. I am seeing exactly the same issue on a server running SQL Server and MS does recommned that read and write caching is used.

When we set the cache to 100R/0W the problem stops.

I did find this article that suggests the disk firmware may be at fault:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PS
D_EX050119_CW01

We do have a disk that is identified in the article, but the HDDETECT utility says its ok. I don't know if I believe it though!

Kim Kruse Hansen
Occasional Visitor

Hi Simon

"Glad" to hear that someone else has experienced the same problem.

I tried running with 100% W and it worked for well over a week. However after having rebooted the server , DB2 crashed immediately.

We have given up on this configuration and have ordered new servers. And sadly no longer HP , but IBM ..