ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753873 Members
7379 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP DL360 G4p Fans running even when server powered off...

za_mkh

HP DL360 G4p Fans running even when server powered off...

Hi,

Been googling and binging but can't find the reason so hope somebody can help. I just bought two used DL360 G4p for my home lab. The idea is that I power them on when I need to learn something. But the annoying thing with these servers is that the FANS that cool the PSU's still continue to run even when the system is shutdown. The only way to completely shut the whole thing down is to disconnect the servers from power.

As this is used in my home the noise as you can imagine is a bit unmanageable! And I want the ability to power them remotely via WOL when I need to. I've checked all BIOS settings, looked at the motherboard to see if there is a switch or jumper that can change this behaviour, but can't find anything. Is there a way to tell the system to completely power down or stop the fans when the OS sends the shutdown command.

Using ESXi 4.1 if that makes a difference.

I don't recall our other servers at work doing this. But they are DL360 G5s and maybe they do this too but our comms room is noisy!

Thanks for your help.

2 REPLIES 2
Peter Jam
Frequent Advisor

What is the room temperature?  Fan speed is supposed to be based on that.

Although I have seen our Dl360 G4ps (we have 2) running at high speed when the server room was 70 degrees.

I also saw in the knowledgebase that a G3 needed an update for the fans to run correctly, do you have the latest BIOS and other firmware on your servers?

dstones
Visitor

This may be a long shot, but did you ever resolve this issue? I'm having the exact same problem.

Thanks,

Stones