ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753637 Members
5658 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

HP DL360 Gen 8 add additional Hard disks into a logical drive RAID 5

ls01c

HP DL360 Gen 8 add additional Hard disks into a logical drive RAID 5

this is a VMware ESX 5.0 OS. there are 4 physical drive in the logical drive and i plan to add additional two disks.

this logical drive is being used as secondary partition and is now being used as a datastore for ESX host running VMFS 5.54 filesystem.

Can anyone please guide me through the processes and steps?

Thanks,

Sean

1 REPLY 1
Casper42
Respected Contributor

Re: HP DL360 Gen 8 add additional Hard disks into a logical drive RAID 5

Are you running the HP Version of ESXi?

You will need to run the ACU to expand the Array and the Logical Volume before you go into vSphere and Extent the DataStore.

The HP Version of ESXi 5 should have the CLI version of ACU (Array Controller Utility).
Note: Newer versions of the HP Image this is now called SSA (Smart Storage Administrator) which has replaced ACU.

But off hand I don't know what the CLI syntax is for doing what you want.

Start here on page 42:
http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.BINARYPORTLET/public/kb/docDisplay/resource.process/?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.rid_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=docDisplayResURL&javax.portlet.rst_ba847bafb2a2d782fcbb0710b053ce01=wsrp-resourceState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03909334-2%257CdocLocale%253Den_US&ja...

Once you have the Disks added to the Array and the Logical Volume expanded, you move on to the vSphere side found here:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1017662

If you get stuck on the SSA stuff, come back here and let us know.

If you get desperate or run out of time and you can afford some downtime, you can always reboot the ESXi host and go into Intelligent Provisioning during boot (F11 I think) and there is a GUI version of either ACU or SSA (depends on Int Prov version) where you can easily do the HP side changes.