1752286 Members
5087 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

HP DL360 Gen9 Overheated SATA Drives

Egor1
Collector

HP DL360 Gen9 Overheated SATA Drives

Случилась следующая неприятная история, недавно наша компания приобрела новый сервер GEN10 а текущий DL360 Gen9 был выведен из эксплуатации и отдан мне в домашнее использование, я заново установил ОС Windows server, скачал свежий SPP 2021.10.0-Gen9, всё шло хорошо, только сервер неистово жужжул на всю катушку вентиляторами, что за... подумал я, через несколько дней я нашел "источник" проблемы, по мимо дисков HP я купил и установил Seagate BarraCuda 2.5" 5400 (ST5000LM000), при загрузке сервера в BIOS выдается предупреждение Option ROM POST Error: 1717-Slot 0 Drive Array - Disk Drive(s) Reporting OVERHEATED Condition, это всё конечно классно, но в реале никакого перегрева естественно нет, даже SSA показывает, что с температурой данных дисков всё ОК, как это понимать? обновил BIOS до текущей на данный момент 2.92 в надежде, что пролема как-то разрешится, но нет. Кулеры работают на 100%, если вытащить эти два диска сразу затихает и всё хорошо у него. Как можно через Shell может отключить чекинг этих двух дисков на перегрев? как вообще заставить сервер (BIOS) игнорировать данную ошибку? Как я понимаю HP решать её не будет, а судя по другим форумам вполне намеренно это сделало, я что-то путаю?

Google Translated

The following bad story happened, our company recently purchased a new GEN10 server and the current DL360 Gen9 was decommissioned and given to me for home use, I reinstalled the Windows server OS, downloaded the fresh SPP 2021.10.0-Gen9, everything was going well, only the server is furious the fans were buzzing to the fullest, what the ... I thought, after a few days I found the "source" of the problem, in addition to the HP drives, I bought and installed a Seagate BarraCuda 2.5 "5400 (ST5000LM000), when the server boots, the Option ROM warning is displayed in the BIOS POST Error: 1717-Slot 0 Drive Array - Disk Drive(s) Reporting OVERHEATED Condition, this is all cool, but in real life there is no overheating, even SSA shows that everything is OK with the temperature of these drives, how to understand this? to the currently current 2.92 in the hope that the problem will somehow be resolved, but no. The coolers work at 100%, if you pull out these two disks it immediately stops and everything is fine with him. Checking these two disks for overheating? How can I force the server (BIOS) to ignore this error? As I understand it, HP will not solve it, but judging by other forums, it did it quite intentionally, am I confusing something?

7 REPLIES 7
support_s
System Recommended

Query: HP DL360 Gen9 Overheated SATA Drives

System recommended content:

1. HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen9 Server - Removing and Replacing the 10SFF (6 NVMe + 4 SAS/SATA) Express Bay Drive

2. HPE ProLiant DL360 Gen9 Server - Spare Parts

Please click on "Thumbs Up/Kudo" icon to give a "Kudo".

Thank you for being a HPE valuable community member.

Accept or Kudo

TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: HP DL360 Gen9 Overheated SATA Drives

Hello,

From the post it appears that a third party device has been installed in the server. The cooling of the HPE ProLiant Servers is taken care by iLO. 

iLO communicates with the devices for regulating the temperature. When third party options are used, this communicaiton does not happen though the devices are detected in BIOS and iLO.

Hence for the purpose of keeping the server in working condition, it usually puts the fan at full speed for ensure cooling.

There appears to be no options in the server's BIOS to specifically reduce the fan speed or rpms.

Regards,

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

Egor1
Collector

Hello. I will reveal a few more secrets, this server has 2 ATA KINGSTON SEDC500 SSDs, and for tests yesterday I installed two drives from laptops, seagate ATA ST1000VT001-1RE1 and ATA ST500LT012-1DG14 there and there are no problems with overheating, focus? Ilo or BIOS does not register any problems with disk overheating! The question is how to force the BIOS and ILO to ignore the overheating error from Seagate BarraCuda 2.5" 5400 (ST5000LM000) drives? I think that the NP company intentionally introduces such fan behavior in the server operation so that only HP drives are bought!

AmRa
HPE Pro

Non-HPE Hard Disk Drives may not work properly on ProLiant Servers because the Server's BIOS, iLO and Smart Array Controller Firmware may not detect a Non-HPE Hard Disk Drive or may not monitor the drive status because Non-HPE Hard Disk Drives will not have HPE firmware.

Please refer HPE article for more information.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sf000019726en_us&docLocale=en_US

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
RichardTR
Occasional Advisor

@AmRa im having a similar issue with an ML30 gen9 with 4x seagate drives. It worked absolutely perfectly until an update downloaded from HP...   now HP are essentially holding my server hostage... Don't think I will ever buy HPE again. Constantly punishing their customers. 

AmRa
HPE Pro

@RichardTR 

We would requerst you please raise support ticket with HPE tech support team. So that they can review log and share you the workaround to isolate the reported issue.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
RichardTR
Occasional Advisor

@AmRa why do HP's responses always come back to "pay us money for things which should be free"?

I can't log a ticket, the server is out of warranty, and because its been out of warranty for a few months they refuse to provide a new warranty anyway.

HP are literally holding my server ransom...