ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753918 Members
7579 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP DL360, Hard Drives = RAID 0 but not recognized

JonBeard

HP DL360, Hard Drives = RAID 0 but not recognized

Hey guys, got an HP DL360 server here, its the 3rd generation, and I have two 70GB hard drives. The hard drives are setup in RAID 0, but when I startup my server (Windows Server 2008), and goto My Computer, I only see the one hard drive, but its at 70GB when it should be at 140ish GB... Device Manager shows the two hard drives, but I dont know what to do from here... Someone help?

Thanks..

-Jon
7 REPLIES 7
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: HP DL360, Hard Drives = RAID 0 but not recognized

Verify the logical disk and hard disk configuration in the array controller using the ACU. You may have a raid0 logical drive on one drive or spanning both drives and have unallocated disk space in the array controller. The OS can not use the two physical disks, it can only use the logical devices that the array controller presents out.
JonBeard

TTR, could you lay that out in step by step form?

Im not good with configuring these things, I just assemble/build them. This is for a client that is having issues.

-Jon
TTr
Honored Contributor

Check if ACU (array configuration Utility) is installed on the server. If not, download it and install it.
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/software-management/acumatrix/sw-drivers.html

Run ACU and go through all the array controller physical and logical view and become familiar with what you have as far as disk, arrays, raid type (you said it's 0), logical drives etc.
After that post back what you found and decide what to do next.

Check out the ACU guide http://docs.hp.com/en/9320/acu.pdf
JonBeard

TTr
Honored Contributor

Everything looks good so far. The two disks that you see in windows are NOT the two physical drives but the two logical drives that the array controller presents to the OS. Just so that you know the difference, you could have taken one of the arrays, say array B, and broken it down into several logical drives and the windows OS would see all of them as disks.

I don't have ACU in front of me but highlight logical drive 2 (or rightclick on it and see if there is a properties option to look at.

Maybe there is nothing wrong and this is a windows task you need to do. What do you see under Device Manager if you right-click on the second disk and select properties?
(Believe it or not I am not good with windows admin, but I can tell you a lot about HP-UX).
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

These drives are not setup as one RAID 0 array. The screen shot shows two array's each with one logical drive.

IF you want them as one RAID 0, you need to delete what you have now and recreate the aray and include both drives in the same array. Once you have an array created, you can then carve out one or several logical drives.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

An additional note. When you delete the current arrays to re-create one array that contains both drives, you will lose any data on the drives
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!