108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP DL370 G6 Overheated SATA Drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
chadtandy
Advisor

That would make sense that that model of Seagate drives has no temp sensor. Sometimes the error goes away and other times it is on. I'm just ignoring it, otherwise the drives are running great.

Thanks all,
-Chad

I can confirm that I'm having the same problem.

Server: DL 380G6
Controller: P410s
Drives: Seagate ST9500420AS
Firmware: 0002SDM1

I'm wondering if there's a firmware that can be put onto the drives that'll fix this issue... (if only to just lie and return a valid temperature)

Thanks,
Tim.
Sorb

We have two servers with the same specification as Robotic Fusion Monkey above.

Server: DL 380G6
Controller: P410i
Drives: Seagate ST9500420AS
Firmware: 0002SDM1

We had this problem back in March and we were forced to buy very expensive HP original drives to solve it. After that the servers are very quiet and the fans are no longer working at the maximum speed which made the servers sound like rocket engines before.

I also contacted Seagate Tech Support back then but they made all kinds of excuses and denied any problem. They also said there was no firmware update available. Unfortunately I didn't have any time to bitch back on them so we had to reside to buy the HP drives :(
Vladimir S.
Occasional Advisor

Hy all,

same exact issue on HP DL 360 G6 with
Seagate 500G ST9500420ASG

Any idea how to get around it, not sure that it can be turn off in bios... becasue sometimes it looks like that server will take off, so much noise and fans are at 80% all the time :( I really don't wont to buy HP disks which cost more that the server...

I'm quite unhappy about the situation..

Vladimir.
Sorb

Yes we are all quite unhappy about this I'd say. HP and Seagate really knows how to screw you over...

One thing I never tried though was to use one of the harddrives that peterjlloyd tested above. It seemed to me that the server would only work properly when it can read the special firmware that HP loads on their super expensive drives.

In my desperation I even tried to remove some of the fans from the enclosure to make it more quiet but the server refused to run without them. I think HP planned this really good...
TiTi65
Occasional Advisor

Same problems with DL360 G7 and SSD C300...
Visibly, no problem on DL180 with hitachi 2Tb drives...

Latest firmware does'nt change anything. (P410 say -6├В┬░C but overheat . . .)
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Did you verify the firmware on the drives match? Check the fans in the server to make sure none of them failed. Does the room have proper cooling that this server is in. Are the drives installed properly? You need proper airflow to the PCB boards. Does HP support those drives on that controller?

HP does charge alot for components because they are designed for the server to function properly. I would get their drive cage and see if your problem is resolved. It is designed to work with the air flow of the server.
TiTi65
Occasional Advisor

Hi, thanks for reply,

Did you verify the firmware on the drives match? Check the fans in the server to make sure none of them failed. Does the room have proper cooling that this server is in. Are the drives installed properly? You need proper airflow to the PCB boards. Does HP support those drives on that controller?

HP does charge alot for components because they are designed for the server to function properly. I would get their drive cage and see if your problem is resolved. It is designed to work with the air flow of the server.

Firmwares are up to date.
Fans are OK (they go slow if I remove the HDD).
Room is at 20├В┬░C stable (cooled and regulated).
Drives installed, I think, properly.

HP doesn't support theses drives.
The HDD doesn't go hot, never.

thanks again...
Vladimir S.
Occasional Advisor

This is not an issue of drives... HP use seagate drivers just with custom firmware as far as I know.. they are no different from other ones... this is issue with HP bios not supporting other drives temp sensors or lack of it...

Solution for this is none so far... just to ignore that message in log ...
TiTi65
Occasional Advisor

Ok,

I was thinking to some kind of this . .. :(.
It's not a problem, but fans are at 80% instead of 18/20% . . .