6847 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP DL380 G3 in combination with HP StorageWorks MSA30

JaredKat

HP DL380 G3 in combination with HP StorageWorks MSA30

Hello to all
So, it's my first time posting to the HP boards, so, bear wtith me

I have a HP DL380 Generation 3 rack server. I plan to use it as a NAS using Ubuntu 12.04LTS as the OS and have other servers connect and mount to the NAS

I am looking into buying the MSA30 to use with the server, although I hear things about using two SCSI ports and whatnot, and I just want to ask if anyone knows of any sort of instalation guide, or can give me a little information on what would be required to hook up all 14 drives into the server, and if possible, on the same RAID5 array. Do I need an additional PCI card to connect, or are there other things to take into consideration?

And another question, what would be the maximum hard drive space using this external hard drive configuration? Would it only support 72GB hard drives, or can I use the 146GB hard drives for two terabytes of storage. Does the DL380 G3 even support this much space? 

Thank you in advance for your answers, as it will do me well

1 REPLY 1
kkpro
Regular Advisor

Re: HP DL380 G3 in combination with HP StorageWorks MSA30

Hi. You need to use in server a RAID controller with external SCSI connector and then connect the MSA30 with external SCSI (VHDCI) cable. As about supported HDD's, try to find manuals about MSA30.