ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752503 Members
5456 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP DL380 G4 and pxe boot

JC Kowal

HP DL380 G4 and pxe boot

I'm trying to use Microsoft Automated Deployment Services to push out images of a Windows 2003 Server onto the DL380 G4. However, whenever I try to boot to the deployment agent the machine appears to receive an ip address and then when it starts to download the deployment image to boot to the machine reboots. There are no logs on the ADS machine. Any new on the G4 that would cause this to happen? I've used it successfully on the G3 model.

Thanks,
JC
5 REPLIES 5
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

Re: HP DL380 G4 and pxe boot

seems to me I recall that the 380 G4 has a new NIC driver that is not on the standard Windows 2003 CD. I had a similar problem when I did a standard installation from the MS CD, I had no network connectivity until I updated the drivers from the Product Support Pack (PSP). I would make sure that the image you are trying to load has these drivers.

The PSP is located at:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/69_5561.html

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
HEM_2
Honored Contributor

JC:

There was a resource issue that is corrected by updating the Smart Array 6i Controller firmware. It is located here:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22339.html

Thanks,

Herman
JC Kowal

Thanks for the replies. I resolved the issue with a combination of both the replies. There is an issue with the Smart Array 6i firmware but my other issue was with the network drivers for the new dl380 g4's. They are not included in the Windows 2003 i386 directory so you have to add them to the presystem folder for ADS. ADS also has 2 hotfixes that resolve a problem with using the pre and post system folders.

Thanks again,
JC
JC Kowal

That all worked but now when I try to capture an image I get another error. "Failed to open volume" Is this error related to the SmartArray firmware again? The nic drivers are in the presystem folder.
JC Kowal

Figured out the problem. You have to copy the drivers for the SmartArray card into the ADS image build too.