ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753768 Members
5212 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP DL380 G4 conversion question

BjayAysel

HP DL380 G4 conversion question

I have a DL380 G4 with 6 SCSI bays (actually I have two of them). I was wondering if it is possible to change the SCSI to SAS/SATA? If so how. I am happy with them not being hotswappable, if that is an issue, as I use these servers as a simple NAS, to store my clients photos. So shutting down the server is not an issue.

SCSI disks are to expensive to purchase in large format 1Tb+

Is there an caddy with an adapter built in, or would I need to change the actual board the drive connect to.

Some detailed explanation would be appreciated if this is possible.

Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Re: HP DL380 G4 conversion question

Your only option is to use some external storage.  The drive bays on the G4 have the SCA 80-pin connectors on the backplane and there's nothing that would adapt that to a SAS/SATA port (different things entirely).

If you really need the storage, external is the way to go.  Find an external SAS/SATA card that works on the G4 (I forget what type of PCI cards it allows).

Rather than worry about compatibility with any HP specific external storage units you might just get some 3rd party off-the-shelf SATA raid box.  That system is too old to spend too much money on. :)

Molasar
Occasional Advisor

There seems to be a SAS model:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04283181

Maybe some parts are interchangeable. eBay maybe?

waaronb
Respected Contributor

Oh weird, I never knew there was an SAS model.  I guess we already had all our G4's purchased at the time and didn't get anything new until the G5's were available.

Seems like there *might* be a way to replace the drive cage, but it seems easier to get an entire used G4 with SAS from someone's surplus inventory.

Molasar
Occasional Advisor

Maybe just the backplane and trays? Are the cages different? Dunno... just a thought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/392610-001-HP-SAS-Backplane-for-Proliant-DL380G4-DL385-/271327992995?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2c689ca3

going for 17 bucks.