ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753820 Members
8763 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP DL380 G4 - no video

Russ Kruse

HP DL380 G4 - no video

I have an HP DL380 G4 that was running fine a few weeks ago. Now, there is no video displayed at all. no post up, no bios, no scsi config, no nothing. All health lights are green, all fans, hard drives, etc. are spinning up.
Any suggestions on how to regain my video?
9 REPLIES 9
John_Curtiss
Occasional Advisor

sorry i can't help, russ, but i have the EXACT same symptoms. although i cannot verify that the video was previously working; we use iLO. but today the iLO console is telling me "server is in an unsupported text mode." so i hooked the crash cart monitor to the server. the monitor stays completely blank during a boot.
Tom123
Advisor

I assume you get 2 bleeps to confirm that POST has completed.
Does the server have ILO card in one of the slots?if so, this would over ride the onboard video.
Any upgrades hardware or software taken place recently.
Is the monitor working correctly (Sorry had to ask)
Russ Kruse

Yes, the monitor is in working order, but NO, I don't get any beeps on boot up. The hard drives all spin up, the fans spin up, I get the blinking light on the DVD drive, but no beeps on boot.
Any suggestions??
Kedd Guyton
Respected Contributor

Try reseating the PCI riser.

Remove any PCI cards and leave only one CPU and two DIMM's. If that doesn't work trying using the other CPU or DIMM's.

On many of the DL380 G4's, I've seen the power supply distribution board (from the front, it's on the left side about half way back) fail.
Russ Kruse

Ours has only one processor, so I've moved it from socket one to socket two, and have removed the riser card and two of the four memory cards. No change, still no video, no post up beeps....just fans and hard drives spinning up.
Any other ideas??
Tom123
Advisor

You will need to move the CPU back to socket one.A single processor server requires socket one to be populated Your sure that all the LED's are green on the system board.
No "Power On Self Test" would indicate cpu or system board error.But I would have expected to see the LED's on the system board showing this.
Check the Processor Power Module led is green along with CPU LED.
Re-seat all cards etc and check that the switch bank settings are correct.All the setting's are listed inside the lid.
Keep us updated with your progress.
John_Curtiss
Occasional Advisor

unfortunately the fix for me was to put in a new processor and motherboard. but ilo and the onboard video currently work... concurrently.
Ross McCracken

It will be more than diffently be the system board contact HP and get it replaced
Yolpzki

Hi to all,

Ihope this thread isn't too old... I have almost the same symptoms on our DL380 G4 except that i tried rebooting with the rain controller disconnected and it did perform the POST... then no POST also when the controller is reconnected (but since the system drive -RAID1- has the mirror drive faulted, i didn't want something bad to happen so I removed it from the bay prior to power on.) My question is do you think this points to a defective raid controller or something else? Thanks.