mehdi_5
Advisor

HP DL380 G5 Storage Server Processor Upgrade

Dear ALL,
We have two HP DL380 G5 Storage Servers with the following SN and PN:
P/N: AG453A
SN1: CZC7040G0G
SN2: CZC7033LR6
We have upgraded the default CPUs to 5450 Quad Core CPUs. Before that, we performed a BIOS upgrade and both of them have the latest version BIOS ROM.
The first Server (SN1: CZC7040G0G) is working well and every thing is OK. But the second server have some problems.
The error is: Unsupported Processor Detected. The revision of the Intel (R) 5000 series chipset on this system board dose not support the installed processor(s) type. -System Halted!
Please note that both servers and CPUs are the same.
Please Help!
6 REPLIES 6
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: HP DL380 G5 Storage Server Processor Upgrade

Hi, seems like there are differences anyway between the CPUs. See http://processormatch.intel.com/COMPDB/HelpContents/CompDB_help.htm#what%20are%20revision%20details or
http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=528&sSpec=&OrdCode=

for information about s-Spec number and the stepping. Seems like there are E5450 and an X5450, sure you have all the same?
If you move the CPU does it work in the other server?

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

There are two versions of the system board for Dual Core CPU's. It is entirely possible that you have an older version in one system and the newer one in the other. The HP Manufacturing plant can use either at build time depending on availability. The older version won't support Quad core.

To check, open the system and look for the spare part white label on the system board.

OLD Model Spare part # 407749-001
NEW Model Spare Part # 436526-001

It won't assist with your upgrade but at least you might trace the problem to the older version of system board and save time troubleshooting.

I hope this helps,

Brian
mehdi_5
Advisor

Thank You Brian Murdoch,
I checked the Spare Part Numbers.
You are right, the second server has an Old Model board. I want to know if there is any way to upgrade the server except changing the board.
Nicolas Marengo

Hi mehdi,

can you let me know where did you find the spare part number?! ive got 2 servers and ive been like crazy trying to find the label with the part number on it but nothing on the motherboard, unless it is on the other side of it??

Thanks

Nico
Neal Ferries
Advisor

Hi,

It's a white label that is on the Main system board , and yes it is small , I use a stamp collectors magifiing glass with a light to read them ..
It's the SP# number that you want to read and then check back with what Brian said for the info ..

Neal..
Doug Shy
Occasional Contributor

I am looking to upgrade my CPU's also, but I can't locate the number on the board. Could you or someone give me a hint as to where on the board it is located?
Thanks.