ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752752 Members
5200 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP DL380 and DL385 included m.2 ports - SATA or NVME?

krisd443
Advisor

HP DL380 and DL385 included m.2 ports - SATA or NVME?

Hi,

We're in process of building out some DL380 and DL385 servers - our understanding is that the m.2 slots on the default riser are SATA only. Is this true for the on-motherboard slots for the DL385? We were told otherwise, but we can't seem to see them in the BIOS, SSA, iLO, etc.

Would much rather know for sure before pressing any farther on trying to get these things to work. We've had two suppliers suggest NVME were usable, the seller of the DL380s (a rather large reseller) and a small independent deller of the DL385 - I don't see NVME in the parts list other than the SFF/2.5" options, but those parts lists don't always seem to be super up to date.

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
krisd443
Advisor

I guess NVME m.2 drives are referred to as "NVME slimline" in HP docs, and anything referring to m.2 refers specifically to m.2 SATA? I see a couple of risers that support NVME slimline (we don't have these risers as we're using pcie cards and the 3LFF rear expansion cages in many of these), and are considering them or perhaps one of the aftermarket PCIE NVME cards.

ShruthiSK
HPE Pro

Hi, 

Are these Gen9 or Gen10 servers?

BR, 

Shruthi

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
krisd443
Advisor

Shruthi,

These are Gen 10 servers. We've determined that there are no m.2 NVME (listed as NVME slimline in HPE docs) ports, just m.2 SATA. Trying to get a third party card to work because we still need use of the pcie riser slots.

Any idea why Dual Bifurcation is mentioned in the RBSU and in the forums for PCIE configuration, but only regular bifurcation is showing as an option for the PCIE slots? I'm running the most recent full SPP pack (december 2019) on all of these machines.

ShruthiSK
HPE Pro

Hi, 

Regarding the queries asked, I am assuming that the third party card stated is already installed. 

Since the regular bifurcation is showing up then I believe the PCIe bifurcation option is enabled already. (Pg 137)

Link: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00016407en_us

If the card does not support bifurcation, disable bifurcation in the UEFI System Utilities. (Pg 136)

If the card supports bifurcation, remove and then reinstall the card. 

BR, 

Shruthi

I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo