ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753559 Members
5995 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

HP DL380P Gen8 - SQL database server -Raid 5 setup - Now need to add more SAS HDD to existing RAID

Maheshjain
Occasional Contributor

HP DL380P Gen8 - SQL database server -Raid 5 setup - Now need to add more SAS HDD to existing RAID

Dear Friends,

I have two HP DL380p GEN8 hardware setup with same configurations.

Using this for SQL database server service

HyperV replications enabled for Virtual Host (SQL Database server) between two servers. SO if any one HP 380p Gen8 hardware fails other server will take over.

Easch Server has 5 SAS 300GB HDD - RAID 5 Configured with 1 spare hdd so usable space is around -850GB usable.

Now the issue is in SQL database server i have two partiions c: drive for windows and d: drive for sql data files.

We are running out of space in D: drive SQL data so I need to expand this drive for more space - like currently free space is only 100GB so need to increase it till  around 800GB or more.

I have three empty bay now so can add maximum three more SAS harddisk.

Questions -

1.- How to add more HDD without disturbing the existing RAID configuration. since this is production server so not want to loose any data.

1 REPLY 1
DANDKS
HPE Pro

Re: HP DL380P Gen8 - SQL database server -Raid 5 setup - Now need to add more SAS HDD to existing RA

Dear Mahesh,

Greetings.

You will be able to add more drives to the existing Array without losing the data. This can be acheived by running Smart Storage Administrator (SSA)

Run SSA, select the array and click manage data drives, then you can add more disks to the current Array.

You can increase the storage space on an array by adding physical drives. Any drive that you want to add
must meet the following criteria:
• It must be an unassigned drive.
• It must be of the same type as existing drives in the array (for example, SATA or SAS).
• It must have a capacity no less than that of the smallest drive in the array.

Controller cache is required to complete this task.

An array expansion, logical drive extension, or logical drive migration takes about 15 minutes per gigabyte. While this process is occurring, no other expansion, extension, or migration can occur simultaneously on the same controller. Controllers that do not support a battery-backed write cache do not support this process.

Once the Array expansion is completed, you can Extend the volume.

Please write back for any further clarification.

Thank you.

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo