ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753828 Members
8612 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

HP DL385 G6 External USB HDD is Extreme Slow the transfer rate will be less then MB,

Mohammed idris
Occasional Contributor

HP DL385 G6 External USB HDD is Extreme Slow the transfer rate will be less then MB,

We have HP DL385 G6 server with MS Windows 2008 R2 with MS Exchange 2010 to perform the backup into external USB around 40GB is taking whole day, the same I tried into network share is completing in a hours, further the same external USB HDD I tried with another HP DL385 G7 is completing in reasonable time and transfer bit rate more than 8MB,
Note:
Recently I did update smart start 8.6 and Firmware Maintenance 9.2 still the issue remains same.

Regards,

Idrees
1 REPLY 1
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Re: HP DL385 G6 External USB HDD is Extreme Slow the transfer rate will be less then MB,

USB drives can do this with small file transfers. It is USB causing it. I switched to firewire 800 drives at home because of it. On a file server, I would do LTO2 tape drive on SAS controller. You get speed and you can take tapes offsite. External hard drives are good for home backup. I would not use them for production servers. You also get with tape, a rotation. I do Monday to Thursday 2 sets, M1-R1, M2-R2, and Fridays 8 weeks. I remove the first tape each month for archiving.