5988 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP Dl380 G7 HP NC382i DP Multifunction Gigabit Server speed problem

mpiana70
Occasional Visitor

HP Dl380 G7 HP NC382i DP Multifunction Gigabit Server speed problem

Hi,

I have installed windows 2012 on a DL380 G7 and I have a problem with nic ( NC382i DP Multifunction Gigabit Server) the max speed is 100mb and not 1gb as should be.

I have also installed the last firmware and driver from hp website. The switch is ok.

Any advice ?

Thanks

MP

5 REPLIES 5
mpiana70
Occasional Visitor

Does anyone had the same problem, more additional info on windows 2008 R2 the same nic works without any problem at 1gb.

LShawii

We are also experiencing the same issue with DL380 G7's running Server 2012

waaronb
Respected Contributor

I have one DL380 G7 that's doing this too, but just on one of the 4 network ports.

The other 3 all connect at 1 GBps, but that other one only connects at 100 Mb/s.  If I force that one to 1Gb / full duplex on either/both the server and switch side (Cisco 2960G switch), it refuses to connect.

My guess is that I have a bad network cable... since it's in a remote datacenter I just disabled that port for now and I'll replace the cable later on.  That's the beauty of redundancy. :)

If you've tried different cables, check the switch settings to make sure it's auto-negotiating... if it is, try forcing the speed and duplex on the server, and then on the server *and* switch to see if it's any better.  Sometimes a switch won't auto-negotiate well with some NICs, but if you force it they'll be happy, so it's worth a shot.

What make/model switch are you using?

Gary2
Occasional Visitor

I have a HP DL385 G7 NC382i DP Multifunctional Gigabit Server speed problem also.  After installing windows 20012 R2, I do not have the drop down to manually select 1GB.  I am using the latest firmware and drivers.

Any suggestions ?  Did the problem get fixed in 2013 ?

Gary2
Occasional Visitor

Regarding HP DL385 G7 NC382i DP Multifunctional Gigabit Server speed problem.

HP says:

FIX is :None, working as designed. The 1 Gb/s forced speed setting option will not be available in Windows Server 2012 for NC382i/NC382T. Instead Auto-negotiation needs to be used, if Gigabit-only connection is desired.

Why it works on 2008:

The reason, why the 1 Gb/s setting is available in Windows 2008 R2 is that it was an option for the inbox Broadcom driver. That setting did not really force that speed but only advertised 1 Gb/s as the available speed to be negotiated. Setting the driver to auto-negotiation will practically do the same.