1753775 Members
7415 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP Insight agents stop, Windows 2003

Scot Bemis
Occasional Contributor

HP Insight agents stop, Windows 2003

On several HP Proliant computers running Microsoft Windows 2003, standard edition, with service pack 2
the HP Insight agent related services mysteriously stop. The HP Insight NIC Agent service stops quite often. This is the service that starts c:\Windows\System32\CPQNiMgt\cpqnimgt.exe. Other HP Insight agent services have also stopped.
As this computers are being monitored by a separate system, support staff has received numerous alerts. There are no messages written in these computers Windows event viewer logs. The service is just not running; the service is set to automatic. All HP Insight Agent services start when these computers are rebooted. The HP Insight Agent services run fine for days.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a "good" version 8.x of these Insight agents, and if so, which version (ex. 8.1, 8.2, etc)?

Details on one Proliant computer
HP Insight agents version 8.4
HP Proliant DL380 G6, BIOS version P62, release date 03/01/2010

At other organizations, I have used HP Insight agents on hundreds of Proliant computers. The Insight agents (version 7.x) ran fine. Have problems been introduced with the version 8.x insight agents?

--------------------------------------------
2 REPLIES 2
Mark Woodruff
Advisor

Re: HP Insight agents stop, Windows 2003

I'm seeing the same thing sporadically on one of our machines (2003 R1 SP2 x32 Enterprise). I think it's related to one of the Windows updates or hotfixes. You might compare them between machines and see if you notice a difference. Run on each machine and compare the results:

wmic /node:'.' qfe GET description,FixComments,hotfixid,installedby,installedon,servicepackineffect
Scot Bemis
Occasional Contributor

Re: HP Insight agents stop, Windows 2003

Could any HP employee confirm any known issues HP Insight agents version 8.x and Microsoft hotfixes? While I could check the Microsoft update or hotfix installations, even if I found differences, realistically, I could not remove or uninstall any hotfixes. These are production computers. Is an upgrade to HP Insight agents version 8.6 a fix? I ask as I have found references to similar problems in HP Insight agent 8.5

I am leery to use the "try and see" on production computers.
--------------------------------------------