6174 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP ML 350G4 - new disks

Hans hansen_2
Advisor

HP ML 350G4 - new disks

Hi,

I just want to investigate something upfront. On a ML 350G4 server I have to replace 2 disks. The current c: drive running raid 1 on two 36GB disk I have to replace with two 72gb disk.
Of course, before I do anything I will make a backup with acronis of the C: drive.

But my question is: When I insert the two new disks and start the server. What will happend, Do It enter the raid setup automically and what do I have to be alert about ?
3 REPLIES 3
Taifur
Respected Contributor

Hi Hans,

When you insert the 2 disk and start the server it will setup RAID1 automatically.
If not, you have to configure RAID1 from ORCU (option ROM Configuration Utility) by pressing F8.

Other then ,you can check , when the server is properly on then replace harddisk one by one after rebuilding RAID.

Take all necessary backup.

Rgds//
Taifur
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

Hi,

**first, better to be to the safe side, have a valid back up as you mentioned.
**second, take one 36Gb drive out and swap it with a 72Gb one, wait for this one to rebuild (your can confirm the progress with the ACU), after rebuild is complete, do the same with the other pair of drives,
**third, since the 72Gb Hdds have twice the space of the others you will need to initialize (or format) the remaining space, if not, you will see a logical drive of 36Gb again, even with the new drives.
you can try with the windows disk manager or Partition magic
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi Hans,

Juan has a good idea but it is always risky to attempt modifying the size of the boot partition in Windows.

I think the best approach is to back up the drives, install replacements, and when restoring the image select new drive sizes. I think Acronis allows this -- I know it is simple with Ghost.

Good luck!