ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752742 Members
5244 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP ML-380G5 Server with 2x P400 Smart Array Controller...Need Help.

SOLVED
Go to solution
ClassicPhil
Occasional Visitor

HP ML-380G5 Server with 2x P400 Smart Array Controller...Need Help.

Hey everyone,

At our shop, we have a few ML-380 G5 Servers that were about to be thrown out, but I talked the boss into letting us have them for spare parts and to use as our lab server.  I took two of the servers and swapped all the hardware from one to the other, so now I have one server with the following specs:

- 2x SAS/SATA HDD cages equipped with 16 total 72GB SAS Drives

- 2x P400 Smart Array Controllers

- 16GB RAM

- 2x CD/DVD Drives

- 2x Processors

Everything works properly, and when I use the Smart Start CD (x64 version 8.7) I can view both arrays seperately and all drives are detected.  Now what I am trying to do is to try to create one large array to install my OS on (this is the choice I would prefer), or install my OS on one array and have the second listed as a D: drive or something of the sort.  I already know how to set-up the logical drives for each controller seperately, but just can't figure out how to get them to work together.

If anyone can help, that would be wonderful.  Thank you.

Phil H.

P.S.  I am using MS Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (x64) for an OS.

6 REPLIES 6
slingshot2000
Occasional Advisor

Just a guess, to do it in hardware, maybe get a SA-P800 http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12616_na/12616_na.html and access the second 8 drives through the external connectors.

ClassicPhil
Occasional Visitor

I was thinking about that, but unfortunately we are not allowed to purchase any more hardware.  This is all outdated equipment and I can only use what we have available between the two servers.  I just wanted to see if there was a way to access all the drives with the two p400 controllers we have, otherwise, we'll just stick it on the shelf for spare parts.  Thanks for the reply though.

slingshot2000
Occasional Advisor

SA P-800s start at $45-50 on eBay without batter packs.  Of course, without battery packs, they will not do write caching, so they might run a bit slow, unless you can use the old ones.

TVVJ
HPE Pro
Solution

Two controllers can be installed and the drives be pulled into arrays by the controllers to which they are connected to. Operating system can be installed in a one of the logical partition on any of the controllers and it should detect the rest of the logical drives as it will be detecting both storage controllers. Forming a single logical array out of this setup is not possible.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

ClassicPhil
Occasional Visitor

I know how cheap they are, but this is free equipment, and we are not authorized to spend "any" money to get it running the way I want it to work.  Plus, the P800 can still only handle 8 HDD's internally anyway according to HP.  But again, thank you for your help.

ClassicPhil
Occasional Visitor

Thank you, that's is what I was figuring...I just needed some conformation.  Thank you for your reply, and have a great day.

Phil