ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748194 Members
3817 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ML110 G5 SATA RAID doesn't show new RAID array in SBS 2003.

terrahawk
Occasional Contributor

HP ML110 G5 SATA RAID doesn't show new RAID array in SBS 2003.

Hi there,

I have a ML110 G5 server with a pair of 160GB SATA disks that are set up using the motherboard RAID as a mirrored pair (RAID1). The array was getting quite full so I just purchased a couple of 1TB Seagate Constellation ES disks and popped them in to I could move all my data over to them.

The drives were detected by the BIOS and the BIOS RAID management tool (press F8 when starting up) and I was able to configure an array and all was well. Until I booted into Windows SBS 2003 and there was no second array. Reboot back the main BIOS, and the 1TB drives are showing up on ports 2 and 3, with the 160GB disks on ports 0 and 1. The F8 pre-boot RAID manager shows the new array in good shape too.

I then updated the BIOS, System Management controller, Windows RAID driver the the latest versions but to no avail.

So, the problems don't occur until I reach Windows. For some reason, the driver refuses to acknowledge my new array's existence. They do not show up in the HP storage manager, and consequently do not show up in the disk management console in SBS 2003. either. The storage manager does not even acknowledge that there is anything in ports 2 and 3.

Is there something I am missing here? Why is it that the BIOS RAID management tool can happily configure the drives and yet they are absent in Windows? Is there something I forgot to do?

Thanks,

--
Geoff.
3 REPLIES 3
terrahawk
Occasional Contributor

Swapped them for Barracuda 7200.12s and everything is fine. Go figure.

--
Geoff.
coffeenow
Collector

Hi

I appear to have the same problem with SBS 2008 R2.

Same scenario - I have added a second RAID 1 array with 2 x Seagate 1TB Seagate Constellation ES SATA3 7200RPM 64MB.

When I boot Windows I cannot see the new logical drive in Disk manager. Grrr.

Maybe I'll have to also replace them with Barracuda drives :-(

Any ideas?

Cheers

Tim

coffeenow
Collector

It appears that the Seagate Constellation ES 1TB ST1000NM0011 is incompatible with the ML 110 G5.

See threads:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/Seagate-Constellation-ES-1TB-ST1000NM0011-incompatibility-with/td-p/5367133

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/HP-ML110-G5-SATA-RAID-doesn-t-show-new-RAID-array-in-SBS-2003/td-p/5360959

Solution appears to replace the Seagate Constellations with equivalent Seagate Barracuda 7200.12

With there was a firmware update or other workaround!

Cheers

Tim