4261 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP ML150 G5 failed RAID drive

halcyondays
Occasional Contributor

HP ML150 G5 failed RAID drive

Hi,
Have a ML150 G5 with a Raid-1 (Mirror setup). This machine appears to use an embedded RAID controller from LSI.

Hard disk failed, and we swapped out for a new one.

Hp array config software doesn't recognize the controller.

After some digging around, found and installed the LSI megaraid software, which does see and offer limited configuration of the RAID. It shows the degraded volume and the new (unassigned) disk, but doesn't allow me to add the new disk to the degraded array.

I'm remote from the server, so haven't been able to try the BIOS tools.

Anyone know the right way of doing this, and if the BIOS is the only way. Frustrating the HP array utility doesn't manage it's own embedded controller! :(
5 REPLIES 5
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: HP ML150 G5 failed RAID drive

> This machine appears to use an embedded RAID controller from LSI.

Maybe so but HP put it there and they customized it with their own firmware, drivers and support. You should rely on HP for supporting it.

> the HP array utility doesn't manage it's own embedded controller! :(

Not quite! The ACU is for SmartArray type controllers only (SA) and not for the embedded SATA controller.

> found and installed the LSI megaraid software

Don't know if they are the same but HP provides the "RAID configuration Utility" (Not ACU) for managing the embedded SATA RAID controller. Check if it is installed (command line based). Take a look on page 13 at the "setstate rebuild" commands. You may also need to run the "rescan" command.
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00771065/c00771065.pdf

Run a good backup before starting the disk rebuild process.
halcyondays
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the points.

I have installed the hrconf utility but it reports no controllers found, so I can only assume it's for a different embedded controller.

No further forward I'm afraid
TTr
Honored Contributor

> I have installed the hrconf utility but it reports no controllers found

Did you uninstall the LSI one? May be there is a conflict between the LSI sw and the HP one so the HP can not see the SATA raid controller.

Does the LSI have a similar command set? As a last resort you can use it to go through the same steps as with the HP one. (i.e. configure the replaced drive as hot spare, then rebuild it)
halcyondays
Occasional Contributor

I don't think the software packages are blocking each other, they just independently talk to the driver.

The MSI one does work, in that it sees the controller and shows the degraded RAID array, it just doesn't give any options to expand, add drives or modify in anyway.

Seems like for whatever reason it is in a 'read-only' mode.

TTr
Honored Contributor

It doesn't hurt to try removing the LSi sw. There may be a hardware interrupt involved and it is in use. These utilities talk directly to the hardware. The OS driver is to interface with the array controller for accessing the disk drives only.