108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP ML150 G6 RAID 5

SOLVED
Go to solution
GlobalIT
Occasional Contributor

HP ML150 G6 RAID 5

Hello, I have a HP ML150 G6 with the P410 zero memory controller. I have already ordered the 512 Memory Upgrade to support raid 5. What I would like to know is. If I install the server OS (Windows 2008) on the RAID 1 logical volume created in the P410 menu. When i add the memory upgrade will I be able to "upgrade" the logical volume to raid 5 or will I have to reinstall the machine again? If I can upgrade can you tell me how. Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3
Lazarix
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Re: HP ML150 G6 RAID 5

Assuming you are currently using two disks in a RAID-1 and you intend to upgrade the BBWC to 512mb, and then put in a third disk, then yes you can use the HP Array configurator utility to change the RAID type from RAID-1 to RAID-5. It will expand the array onto the three drives and re-build it without losing the data.

That said, take a backup first (ideally a ghost image so you can restore it onto a fresh RAID-5 if it becomes necessary).
Live by the sword
GlobalIT
Occasional Contributor

Yes that is exactly what I would like to do. Thank you for your input. I was greatly appreciated.
TTr
Honored Contributor

You can not convert directly from raid1 to raid5. The reason is you can not add the third disk directly to the raid1 array, a 3-disk raid1 array is not possible.

The way to do this is to first convert the raid1 array to a 2-disk raid0 array. . Then add the third disk to the raid0 array, now you have a 3-disk raid0 array. (No redundancy while in raid0). Lastly convert the raid0 array to raid5 array.

Always run a backup of your OS disks before you start any disk array operations.