ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752701 Members
5809 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ML150 G6 System Health Blinking Red Only in Dual CPU Configuration; Single CPU Config is OK

JuliusPIV
Occasional Contributor

HP ML150 G6 System Health Blinking Red Only in Dual CPU Configuration; Single CPU Config is OK

Problem:

I have an HP ML150 G6 with a single E5504 and 24GB (6x 4GB) modules that works just fine.
After installing an E5540 matched-pair CPU kit and balancing the DIMMs across both CPU DIMM banks (in slots 2A, 4B, 6C), the system powers on but doesn't POST.
After 4-5 seconds of powering on, the System Health light blinks red indicating a critical system failure was detected, which according to the documentation could be: Processor, Memory, Regulator, Thermal Event, Fan or NMI.
I need help narrowing the scope of the issue for further troubleshooting.

Troubleshooting:

• Reset the BIOS to failsafe settings
  • Ran the SmartUpdate Firmware (9.30) ISO which confirmed no updates were required
  • I removed all other components (CD/DVD ROM, Hard Drives etc.) to eliminate those possibilities
  • Reverting to the original configuration = OK
  • CPU A in Processor 1 socket with 3x4GB (modules 1, 2 & 3) in CPU1_DIMM slots 2A, 4B, 6C = OK
  • CPU B in Processor 1 socket with the same 3x4GB modules in CPU1_DIMM slots 2A, 4B, 6C = OK
  • CPU A in Processor 1 socket with the other 3x4GB modules (4, 5 & 6) in CPU1_DIMM slots 2A, 4B, 6C = OK
  • CPU B in Processor 1 socket with the same 3x4GB modules CPin U1_DIMM slots 2A, 4B, 6C = OK
  • CPU A in Processor 1 socket with 3x4GB in CPU1_DIMM slots 2A, 4B, 6C and 3x4GB in CPU2_DIMM slots 2A, 4B, 6C = OK (although the system only registers 12GB and complains about the memory configuration)
  • CPU B in Processor 1 socket with 3x4GB in CPU1_DIMM slots 2A, 4B, 6C and 3x4GB in CPU2_DIMM slots 2A, 4B, 6C = OK (although the system only registers 12GB and complains about the memory configuration)
  • CPU A in Processor 1 socket with 6x4GB in CPU1_DIMM slots = OK
  • CPU B in Processor 1 socket with 6x4GB in CPU1_DIMM slots = OK
  • Swapped heat sinks between both CPU's
  • I also tested several memory configuration variation, swapping memory modules around into different slots (example: 2A moved to 6C, 6C to 4B, 4B to 2A etc) = All the combinations were OK with 1 CPU; Adding the second CPU resulted in a failure.
  •  Basically, when a CPU is in the second processor socket, the system exhibits the issue.  No matter what CPU is in the second processor socket, the system fails to boot.  (i.e.: CPU A in Processor 1 socket & CPU B in Processor 2 socket; CPU B in Processor 1 socket & CPU A in Processor 2 socket)

Based on the above, the CPU's and memory modules are sound, suggesting it's something else.

At this point, I'm essentially out of ideas. so any advice/guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

[Moderator edit: Removed the broken link. Please refer to https://support.hpe.com/]

9 REPLIES 9
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: HP ML150 G6 System Health Blinking Red Only in Dual CPU Configuration; Single CPU Config is OK

Did you try Both CPU's and minimal memory?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
JuliusPIV
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jimmy Vance and thanks for the reply.

With both CPU's and 1x4GB module in both 2A DIMM slots, the same error persists.  I do have some 2GB modules around so I suppose I can give those a try later today.

I also tried testing with that 'jumper' that's currently plugged into SYS_FAN2:

• Original Configuration: SYS_FAN2 = Jumper; SYS_FAN3 = Fan, SYS_FAN5 = Fan; All others are empty.
  • SYS_FAN2 = Empty; SYS_FAN3 = Fan, SYS_FAN5 = Fan
  • SYS_FAN1 = Jumper; SYS_FAN2 = Empty; SYS_FAN3 = Fan, SYS_FAN5 = Fan

Aside from reviewing the SEL while in the BIOS, is there another option for better understanding why System Health is blinking red?

JuliusPIV
Occasional Contributor

The SEL in LO100 shows:

Source        Description
FAN_1         Lower Critical-going low
CPU2 IErr   State Asserted
CPU1 IErr   State Asserted

I pulled the power cable, CMOS & RAM & reinstalled everything, and as soon as it was plugged in, it powered on with the same blinking red light. 

I'm at a loss: Board? CPU A? CPU B? Other?

TTr
Honored Contributor

How many fans total are installed? Same about the power supplies and rating Watts.

JuliusPIV
Occasional Contributor

Good morning TTr, and thanks for the reply!

For what its worth, I think I'm exactly where your head is at: Earlier this morning I re-read the Maintenance and Service Guide as well as the Quick Start, and the Quick Start makes references to 2P systems shipping with 3 fans.  But I'm not seeing where 3x Fans and/or a 750W (or anything higher than a 460W) PSU is a requirement.   That said, the system has:

2x Fans:

SYS_FAN1 = Empty
SYS_FAN2 = Some type of jumper ?
SYS_FAN3 = Installed
SYS_FAN4 = Empty
SYS_FAN5 = Installed

1x 460W PSU - Also, at the moment the system doesn't have much installed:

• Both CPU's
  • 1x4GB module in DIMM 2A of each bank
  • No HDD's, No CD/DVD Rom, No peripherals, No cards etc.

Thanks again.

sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

I wonder if moving a fan to Sys Fan 1 might address the issue.  We ran into a problem with a newer DL360p Gen8 not booting with a missing fan even though it was barely loaded.  Are you seeing an errors at Power On Self Test (POST) that might indicate the problem?  We saw 1611 "Fan Solution Not Sufficient" at POST.

You should be able to purchase these fairly cheap (Spare# 496066-001, Hot-plug fan, 60 mm).

JuliusPIV
Occasional Contributor

Evening sgunelius, thanks for the contribution.

I moved the fan from SYS_FAN3 to SYS_FAN1 but the system continues to report the same errors, with and without the 'jumper' in SYS_FAN2.

To make matters worse:

• The slots for Fan 1, Fan 1.5 and Fan 2 are every so slightly closer together than the slots for Fan 3, meaning I can't slide the current fan into the proper location.
  • Not realizing this trickery, I've already got HP Part 487109-001 / Spare Part 519740-001 on order.
    Fan 2Fan 2Fan 1 & Fan 1.5Fan 1 & Fan 1.5Fan 3Fan 3

Also, the spare part number you mentioned doesn't seem to correspond to the ML150 G6.  Everything I've seen suggests 513927-B21; maybe 513737-001.  All of these part numbers appear to correspond to the same fan I have: 487108-001, 487109-001, 487099-001, 519740-001.

At this point, I don't think I have much choice but to revert back to a single CPU configuration.
And from the looks of all the prices I've seen from the fans above to the drive cage (519733-001, 519734-001, 519736-001, 598657-001, 599161-001, 487737-b21, 466509-001, 466510-001), I might be able to part out the box and recoup nearly all my costs!

<rant>I've got to say: I'm really disappointed in the direction this went in.  I've had several Dell PowerEdge's over the years and it's never been this hard to get parts for them.  After this experience, I'm quite fearful of picking up another machine because who knows what lies (<g>) ahead!</rant>

Thanks all for lending your time and effort into this.  Notifications are on so I'll be keeping an eye on this if someone replies.

Cheers!
J

Myze

Re: HP ML150 G6 System Health Blinking Red Only in Dual CPU Configuration; Single CPU Conf

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem. Have you found a solution?
Best regards,

Sunitha_Mod

Re: HP ML150 G6 System Health Blinking Red Only in Dual CPU Configuration; Single CPU Conf

Hello @Myze,

Thank you for posting! 

We would recommend you to create a new topic using the "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and assist you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo