ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753500 Members
4275 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP ML30 GEN 10 and WD BLACK 1TB NVME

Angel3

HP ML30 GEN 10 and WD BLACK 1TB NVME

I try to use ine WD BLACK  1TB NVME M2 SSD, system detect the SSD but when try to use for  install windows server 2019 have blue screen with nmi hardware failure. I test the ssd in other computer and not have any problem.

Somebody can help me? 

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
AshutoshM
HPE Pro

Please advise if the server is in "UEFI Boot Mode" as this is needed to enable NVMe boot support.

I am an HPE Employee
Xy80r6

Same problem on WD Black 500GB SN750.
Seem like it is hardware conflict because
it work fine on Samsung 970 Pro and 970 Evo with the same setting.

I just upgrade from Microserver gen10 to ML30 gen10 and realize that i make a mistake.
So i’m frustrating and no more HP brand loyalty unless HP release the patch soon!
BritannyTech
Occasional Collector

Same issue here. Two new ML30 gen10, shipped with 1.22 bios.

Same BSOD issue with a WD Blue SN500 and a SN520, both are 500 GB NVMe M.2 SSDs.

UEFI Boot on the USB key, in order to Install Win Server 2016 or 2019. Same bsod with those two OS.

In the two cases (16 & 19) : BSOD with NMI hardware failure when partitionning the SSD drive. Then the diag led flashes red. The SSD drive is then not detected anymore by the mainboard after the reboot, until a tue power cycle (pulling the power cord after power down).

I swapped SSD to a 970Evo+ M.2 SSD on the first one to address the isse, and will have to do the same with this second ML30 Gen10...

So beware, there is OBVIOUSLY (2.12 bios) a compatibility issue with the NVMe WD SSD family and the ML30 Gen10.

HP insiders, please consider sending the feedback to the guys in charge ! Thanks.

Edit : in the process of upgrading bios to 2.12, stock bios was U44 1.22

Edit 2 : *same issue* with bios 2.12 release instead of stock 1.22...

JG Systems
Occasional Contributor

Just setup a new HP ML30 Gen10 with the latest U44 v2.20 BIOS and a Crucial P2 1TB NVMe drive, and I'm seeing the exact same issue during setup and occasionally after reboots.

So the issue does not seem limited to just WD SSDs, I've just ordered a Samsung 970 Evo Plus 512GB to test.

EDIT: I had a third party PCI to NVMe adapter card, and tested using that with the 1TB drive to eliminate the onboard NVMe slot, and have the same results. Server boots from it fine but when I restart the server the BSOD happens and the system shutsdown and needs to be manually powered back on (or switched on via iLO)

EDIT2: Can now confirm Samsung 970 Evo Plus works 100%, in both the onboard M.2 slot, and using an adapter in a full size PCIe slot. It's worth noting the onboard M.2 slot is only PCIe 2x, where as you can get more performance using an adapter and using one of the PCIe 4x slots (or the x16 slot if you've got nothing better to plug into that)