New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP ML330 PSP failure - System Model: Unknown

SOLVED
Go to solution
Benedek Frank
Advisor

HP ML330 PSP failure - System Model: Unknown

Dear Forum,

I have a few HP servers, and believe it or not I didn't manage to install PSP successfully on either one of them. The one I now trying is an ML330, but we have ML350s and couple of smaller ones, 2x 110s and a 150.

On this 330 as I had some time, I formatted the HDD's, rebuilt the RAID5 before that, and reinstalled Windows 2003 with SP1. I didnt even join to the Domain, should that have been the problem.

I got a fairly decent version, the 7.7 and Installed it. I chose all options that are sensible, and first what I got was a non-responding site as I started the HP Management Homepage. I found out that because I didnt have a Repository, I didnt need to install the Version Control Agent. Once I have uninstalled that, the HP Management Homepage starts fine, but I dont see any of my hardware there. On top right, it shows System Model: Unknown.

On my other servers I see the same, System Model: Unknown. I must be doing something seriously wrong.

I also tried to reinstall again, and on the fresh install try the Originally supplied CD for PsP with the Express Setup, but it failed the same way, System Model: Unknown.

When I start the Array utility, it works, but only standalone, and it wont display info to the HP Management Homepage.

Thanks for any help,

Ben
7 REPLIES 7
Steve Hobday

Hi Ben - did you setup the SNMP service? Once installed, you should accept packets from localhost. You do this on the Services->SNMP>Security Tab.

Regs,
Steve
Benedek Frank
Advisor

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

I have set SNMP up and packets are accepted from Localhost. Still, System is unknown, and unable to see any Hardware in the HP Management Site.

Thanks for any further help,
Ben
Steve Hobday

Only other thing I can think of is did the System management driver get installed when you installed the PSP? If so, did the service start or start with errors?

Steve
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

what do you mean " I chose all options that are sensible"?

select the OS and install all the options don't select specific things to install it's more secure

if you SNMP OK, so unistall all the packets or programs on Add and remove programs and install PSP again

/// SNMP just in case

here is:

- Administrative Tools

- Go to Services
- look for SNMP Services
- click on it - Properties
- Go to Traps Tab
- Comunity name: public - Add to list
- Trap Destination: 127.0.0.1 - Add Button
- Trap Destination: localhost - Add Button

- Comunity name: private - Add to list
- Trap Destination: 127.0.0.1 - Add Button
- Trap Destination: localhost - Add Button

- Go to Security Tab
- Add Button
- Write public
- Select READ WRITE or it can be READ ONLY
- Add Button
- Write private
- Select READ WRITE or it can be READ ONLY

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

by the way PSP is not supported on 100 series

regards
Benedek Frank
Advisor

Karlo, right on the money. I guess Steve was telling me the same above, I just didnt know I had to do the Traps also.

Great, it works like a dream, much appreciated.

By the way, I had to remove all components like you said, reconfigure SNMP, restart server, install, restart server to make it work. No other way it would. I guess SNMP has to be properly set prior to installation.

As for the 100s, what do I do to manage the system, or at least to see Logs and HDD failure? Is there an Email-alert kind of thing for cases of failures?

Thanks

Ben
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

well to see the logs in general you can use Integrated Management Log, it includes system errors and POST errors.

you can use the System Management homepage(SMHP) to monitor Hw too, SMHP shows the HW in different alert level failed, OK, degraded that helps like hell(jeje)

for HDD you have to use array diagnostic utility

I think if you want configure email for alerts I've heard about HP SIM
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/index.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

In fact I recommend you call HP about this product

regards