108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HP ML350 G4p CPU Thermal Increase

SOLVED
Go to solution
Suraj Wellala
Occasional Advisor

HP ML350 G4p CPU Thermal Increase

I have purchased an HP ML350 G4p Server with 2 GB RAM. After sometime i have realized that the memory is not sufficient and upgraded to 6GB in total.

I am experiencing CPU Overheat alomost every 15 minutes and it cools down. I Have attached the system log file for reference.

Please advice me to solve this problem as this is our primary server.
10 REPLIES 10
Lesley Persyn
Frequent Advisor

Re: HP ML350 G4p CPU Thermal Increase

Can you verify that you are using the latest PSPs? There are some improvements about cpu/fan controlling...
u84823
Regular Advisor

Does the machine have sufficient clearance around the front and back? Is it sited in a room with sufficient cooling and a normal ambient, say < 30*C? Is there a build up of dust in the air grills? Are the fans running?

Do you have Windows power management enabled (Power scheme: Server Balanced in Windows Server 2003 for example)?
Suraj Wellala
Occasional Advisor

With regard to the PSP installation I updated the version to 8.25. After reboot the red warning indicator became normal (green). However previously when I restarted the Server the warning indicator became normal but the following day it started indicating the same warning. i will have to see until tomorrow whether the server indicates the warning again. Then I will reply back with the status.
ML 350 G4p tower server is in a 5 U Rack and located in an AC Room which provides less than < 26*C x 24 hours. As for the rack both front, back and two sides are fully covered. 3 exhaust fans are working on top of the rack however above the ML 350 server I also have DL100 rack mountable server. This is located between the above three fans and faulty server (ML350).
Apart from that I experienced this problem after the RAM upgrade. Is there any possibility the cause for this problem could be RAM?
Thanks.
u84823
Regular Advisor

Other issues aside that rack doesn't sound good. The front and back should be wiremesh.
Suraj Wellala
Occasional Advisor

The front door is a glass door and both side doors and back door is fully covered as a steal door. Only thing I could see as ventilation is that there is 2inch grill frame on top of the rack.

In fact the power scheme was selected as always on and I changed as suggested.
u84823
Regular Advisor
Solution

I would take the doors off to confirm if the rack is the issue.
Suraj Wellala
Occasional Advisor

Even after the PSP update, today the log file started indicating logs. So it seems PSP update didn't solve the issue.

With regard to the doors I will remove front and back doors to see whether this could cause the problem. Then I reply again.

Thanks a lot for assisting me.
Suraj Wellala
Occasional Advisor

I removed only the front door and left it open since then and up to now no thermal errors indicated. It seems like the lack of ventilation caused the problem.

However this rack was for about 2 years up until April I did not have this problem. All doors were closed 24 hours.

However thank you very much for providing support for this issue.
Suraj Wellala
Occasional Advisor

Rack has to be replaced with proper ventilation options.